Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sugarr.jpg get-attacment.aspx.jpg
Sugar was the most adorable red miniature dachshund puppy with a little white spot on her chest whose life was cut short due to intestinal parvovirus. Sugar was a Christmas present given to my sister and I by my mom. From the first time I laid eyes on Sugar I knew she was the one for me. Sugar arrived at our home Christmas Eve morning and was the best present I could've ever gotten. She got the name "Sugar" because she loved giving kisses and was as sweet as could be. For the rest of Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day she seemed perfectly fine and acted like her normal playful self; however, the morning of the 26th she began having diarrhea. We took her to the vet and they said she had hookworms and roundworms and gave her the deworming medicine. Everything was fine until that night. Sugar began vomiting and would not eat or drink anything. We took her to the emergency animal clinic around 11:00 pm that night and they put her on IV fluids and gave her a variety of blood tests. All of her tests came back normal and they didn't think anything was wrong with her except that she was dehydrated. We picked Sugar up at 7:00 am the morning of the 27th and transported her back to our regular vet. They did more blood tests and kept her on fluids. Around 4:30 pm I got a call from the vet saying that she had done a parvo test on Sugar and it came back positive. The vet said the only thing we could do was keep fluids in her and keep her under close supervision.
]chment.aspx.jpg eeeeeditbaby.jpg
We took her back to the emergency clinic around 6:00 pm to stay for the weekend because they stay open 24 hours. We called every 4 hours to check on her and she did well and even seemed to be getting better until the night of the 29th. They called and asked if we wanted to come see her because she wasn't doing too good. We went to see her and she was nothing but skin and bones. She was only 3 pounds to begin with but now she had no meat on her at all. It hurt to see my baby so sick. I held her almost the entire time we were there. She seemed happy to see us because they said they hadn't seen her that lively in a while. I unwillingly left, praying that she would make it. 30 minutes before we were supposed to pick her up and take her back to her regular vet at 5:30 am. They called and told us she didn't make it. They did all they could but said her body temperature started dropping and they couldn't get it back up. We picked her remains up and I opened the box and looked at her little lifeless body. I petted her on the head and it seemed as if she would jump up and go back to being her normal self again. We had her cremated and I now have the remains in a little wooden box sitting on my dresser with her collar on top.
eeddiittget-atachment.aspx.jpg
Sugar was only 8 weeks old. She was the sweetest little puppy I could've ever asked for. Although her time with us was short, I am thankful that I got the chance to give her the love and care that she deserved. I would do anything to have her back with me. No other dog can ever replace her. She will always have a special place in my heart. We are left with the sweet memories she left with us.
editgirl.jpg edddddiiittt.jpg
Rest In Peace Sugar Booger. You will always be missed. I love you with all my heart baby girl.
sugar.jpg
Sugar
November 1, 2013 - December 30, 2013

This plan, which God will complete when the time is right, is to bring all creation together, everything in heaven and on earth, with Christ as head. Ephesians 1:10

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, it is never any easier no matter the age of the pet. Parvo is a terrible disease, but also very very contagious.

Did you tell the breeder or person you purchased Sugar from of her death and the diagnosis? It is very important that the person who gave you Sugar knows about this, especially if there were other puppies in the litter.

If you plan to get another dog, disinfect every single spot in your home and yard with bleach, as well as any items or clothing that came in contact with Sugar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
We purchased her from a pet shop, which we now know has terrible reviews, and we called and let them know. The only thing they would do for us is replace the puppy they wouldn't give us a refund or help pay the vet bills. They also called the breeder they got her from and told her to come get the other puppies she had there. We have bleached everything down several times and decided to go with a puppy a little older that has had all of their shots. This puppy came from a different breeder and we picked him up ourselves to make sure he never went through the pet store. So we now have a 6 month old miniature dachshund who is as sweet as can be. But nothing will ever be able to replace my sweet Sugar.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Heartbreaking. However, I am glad that she was at least surrouned by people that loved her for what short life she had. Resting knowing you did everything you could have and gave her love until her final moments. That's probably the best gift that sweet little girl could have.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. She knew she was loved even if it was only for a short little while. Run free Sweetie ........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts