Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Benji is sick.... I'm sure most of his symptoms were not caused by his respiratory infection... In fact my vet believe me feeding him a raw diet has him infested with bacteria and parasites... (of course)

Well... the vet he saw today anyway his regular vet was not in today...

Anyway he's been sleeping all day, and slept all day yesterday. had to get fluids for dehydration... Anti-nausea medicine because this morning he was acting like he had to vomit, and antibiotics for his sneezy, runny nose...

Any of you seen these symptoms all together and have any idea what the underlying cause might be? Is this normal for an infection... The nausea is throwing me off. Also he didn't have a bowl movement despite eating fine for 24 hours, then finally had one this morning, however I underfed him yesterday because I was very ill and my boyfriend didn't know what he was supposed to feed him and did not give him the right amounts. That MAY explain the lack of stool...

Anyway I'm trying not to cry because I feel like I'm killing my angel... And just hoping for a speedy recovery... He's being treated like a prince right now... He can have anything his heart desires.... Within reason!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I do not know about the symptoms ... but could you make him a tad bit of boiled chicken breast and cooked slightly mushy white rice? This is usually a tummy cure all. And be certain that he is getting plenty of fluids. I would put a tad bit of water on his chicken and rice if it were me ... just to see that he is getting fluids into his tiny self. :( I am sure he needs to eat especially because he is such a tiny breed ... hypoglycemia ( low blood sugar) ... if I spelled it properly?

I sure hope he begins to feel better. Keep us posted on his progress.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Poor baby. Hope he feels better soon. Like Abbylynn said, boiled rice and lean meat seems to be a magic tummy cure-all. If you use lots of water (more than you'd need to just cook the rice), you'll get some fluids in him. You could also boil chicken and give Benji the broth to drink.

Not sure if it works the same for dogs, but when I have lots of sinus congestion and post-nasal drip, I get nauseated. His stomach might be upset from not eating, too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't even have rice in my house (I don't eat it) so I skipped the rice but his tummy troubles went away a while ago thankfully. Now we have a puffy puppy (they gave him fluids under his skin) and he's been drinking tons! He ate well and played all evening and is sleeping now. The only symptom he still has in the sneezing and runny nose from the infection!

Thanks for the well wishes =)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts