Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our new dog has been here for just over a week now. I've mentioned in other threads that she was actually a dog my parents were fostering for a rescue so while I can't say she's never been a resource guarder, it's definitely new behavior to everyone who knows her.

In the last day or so, she's started growling if the cats get too close in the vicinity while she eats. Probably a few feet or so? My parents had cats and another dog while she was there and both say they'd never known her to growl over her food. From here on out I'm gonna make sure the cats are in a different room when she eats but just wondering what could be causing the sudden change? Or maybe it's normal behavior for her but she's just never been comfortable until our house? Or maybe it's the exact opposite and something new in the house has made this happen?

I'm really not sure but it does make me a little nervous. She gets along great with my cats otherwise. Of course, the cats have never seemed interested in her eating either and are typically off doing their own thing but suddenly they wanna see what she's got. Dang cats.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
That's not abnormal. She's telling the cats to go away, simple as that. When your pup is eating, I would physically separate the cats, like you've been doing. To be extra safe, make sure she gets chews like bones or Kongs separate from the cats as well, or in her crate.

She may only be guarding because she's still getting used to your home, but in my opinion its always a good idea to keep animals separate when they're eating even if they've never displayed guarding tendencies. That way, accidents can't happen and nobody ever feels like they NEED to guard.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Put the dog in a crate or separate room when she eats. Very simple solution. Dogs eat pretty fast anyway.

My cats are both fed in separate places and separated and the dogs are separated from each other and the cats. All get fed at the same time.

I have one dog that will back off and LET the cat eat her food and then come and ask me to rescue her (weak nerves...). The others are likely not so accommodating...

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I have one dog that will back off and LET the cat eat her food and then come and ask me to rescue her (weak nerves...). The others are likely not so accommodating...
Cats are freaking scary. I would back off if they wanted to eat my food, too, LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts