Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Resource Guarding Success Stories?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  3GSD4IPO 
#1 ·
My family and I will be working one-on-one with a behaviorist for my 16 week old growly puppy. Been trying to work on it solo and in her puppy kinder class, but it has been very stressful. She guards toys and her bed. She is pretty food motivated and learns pretty quick. This behavior is very confusing and putting me on edge because I just want everyone to be safe. Thanks everyone for your kindness!

#2 ·
I'm glad that you are working with a behaviorist! I have a lot of experience with resource guarding and once had a dog who was a severe resource guarder - he absolutely would have bitten people over food if I hadn't been careful and he punctured a few dogs over toys and food. I would clone that dog and have him again if I could. Despite his challenges, he was a demo dog for my group training classes, traveled all over the States with me, and even participated in kids' summer camps. Just goes to show that with the right management and training (in that order), resource guarding does not severely limit a dog's opportunities in life. If I could pick one 'major' behavior problem for a dog to have and it would magically guarantee it wouldn't have any other problems, I'd pick resource guarding.

That said, it is critical to understand and accept that resource guarding is a lifelong trait. You don't 'cure' a dog of it or guarantee that a dog won't growl or bite someone. There are many reasons for this. So although the behavior can be reduced with the right behavior modification plan, your behaviorist should prioritize reasonable expectations and lifelong management (ex. "no matter what, always feed Fido in a different room")

#3 ·
Resource guarding is often best handled by changing the conversation. If the dog resource guards its bed, then put the bed in a crate and leave the dog alone when the dog is in the crate. If the dog resource guards toys (with other dogs) then no toys can be out when the dogs are out together. If the dog resource guards toys with you, work at the Trade Game (trade for what the dog has with something the dog puts greater value on.. like food for a ball). If the dog resource guards its food bowl, feed the dog by itself in a room or crate with the door shut (I think all dogs should eat by themselves and be left alone when eating).

Here is a video about resource guarding food bowl. This man (Dave Kroyer) knows more about dogs than just about anyone I can think of off hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.