Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has a dog that comes onto our property, and gets very upset when we come out, defending the land as best he can (He's a miniature poodle). In fact, as he goes up the street he keeps on barking and carrying on. When challenged, he will back off, but always tries an end run to advance elsewhere.

Maybe this is not resource guarding, but I have no idea what to call it. Why would a dog who does not belong on my property (I am quite aware that it does not know it is my property) stand on my lot and bark his fool head off. There has been no ability to form a truce between my family and this dog.

I have been trying to make sense of this circumstance, both to know how to treat it and how to speak to my neighbor about it.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
My neighbor has a dog that comes onto our property, and gets very upset when we come out, defending the land as best he can (He's a miniature poodle). In fact, as he goes up the street he keeps on barking and carrying on. When challenged, he will back off, but always tries an end run to advance elsewhere.

Maybe this is not resource guarding, but I have no idea what to call it. Why would a dog who does not belong on my property (I am quite aware that it does not know it is my property) stand on my lot and bark his fool head off. There has been no ability to form a truce between my family and this dog.

I have been trying to make sense of this circumstance, both to know how to treat it and how to speak to my neighbor about it.
Dogs who are allowed to guard territory frequently expand that territory.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Dogs who are allowed to guard territory frequently expand that territory.
As far as the eye can see seems to be the doggy credo.

Can you ask your neighbor if you can give their dog treats? My neighbor's dog, H, barked relentlessly at me whenever he was outside and I was outside at the same time, which became a problem when I planted a garden and was out a lot. (Not a problem for me, I don't care, but other neighbors did.) I asked for, and got, permission to toss treats to H while I was working in my garden, and after about 6 weeks, he stopped barking at me. Well, he runs up to the fence barking, then sees it's me, cries for a treat and runs off as soon as he gets it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a perfect solution, I had not thought of it.

But I had a funny thing happen yesterday night. M was out expanding territory in our cul-de-sac and my dog R, was inside upset by all the barking. R is good off leash, so I let her out with me. She's not much of a social dog, but is better than I am speaking dog to the little tyrant M. R sees M, and runs over, and through a series of move together and move apart steps, they get to know each other, and start to play! R does not play with strange dogs, she has never been comfortable. They play around in a 3rd neighbors front yard, and move into another large backyard, where they fell over to rest. I was able to leash up R, and M was still loose, but with some treats and patience I was able to get M to my arms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts