Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting a one year old bully that was in a shelter, one day from being euthanized. He has been with a foster and gets along with other dogs and seems to be very friendly. I have not yet met him.

I have 3 other very well socialized, friendly dogs that accept almost any dog .

My question is, has anyone dealt with a deaf dog, trained them and if so, what issues did you run into?

I have done some research on the vibrating collar, for getting his attention as well as read about various training methods.

Any suggestions or advice is welcomed.

He has been leash trained and is housebroken, but that is about it.

I searched this forum for deaf dogs but have not found much info

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thank you so very much for rescuing a deafie!

I have 3 deaf dogs and can give you an absolute TON of info!!! There's a deaf dog yahoo group, you may want to join, as well!

First thing you need to know, is that they are NORMAL DOGS that can be trained as easily (or easier imo) as hearing dogs, you just need to go about it slightly different. there are a TON of videos on deaf dogs and training them on You Tube, and they can do almost anything a hearing dog can. I know someone even doing bitework training (Shitzhund, I do believe), though they wont be able to compete. Many deafies excel at agility, flyball, dog dancing, tricks, tracking, retrieving, etc.

I've never used a vibrating collar, but can see where they'd be useful, but flicking lights, stomping on the floor, etc are all good indoor attention getters. Many deafie owners truly feel that vibrating collars are a waste of time, but honestly, I would get one if I had a bigger deafie. They are only as good as your ability to train recall though :)

Here's Mouse my deaf and nearly blind Dachshund doing some tricks (she knows alot more though :) )

And her snooping in the grass along a creek

And here's Scout's first demo. I'd had her less than 2 months at this point... she learned a lot in such a short time for a 4 year old dog 2 hours from being euth'd

And here's a video of Scout last summer, with cameos by Mouse and Boo at the end :)

If you have any specific questions or concerns, let me know and I'll help you out! Thanks again for giving a deafie a chance!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU!!! I am so excited to find another pup lover with deaf dogs. I will go to Yahoo and look on you tub and be back here later. I would LOVE to talk with you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You're so welcome! Saving deafies and changing people's perceptions of them is a passion of mine. They really are as good as hearing dogs, and the myths about them are so untrue. We joke on the yahoo group that you cant have just one. Once you've owned a deafie, you will adopt more! LOL. I got my first one almost 6 years ago, and have since adopted 3 more, however one turned out to only be temporarily deaf, I still love him! LOL I have also fostered and transported 2 others (a Border Collie and a Dane) So I have a fair amount of experience to help you out :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
The dogs, the videos, and the dedicated people are amazing! This is so very touching ... I too get goosebumps just watching.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Are you talking about the videos I posted? They're all mine :) And no, I'm not especially dedicated or amazing, I just prefer deafies over hearing dogs. I've never once wished my deafies could hear, but constantly wish my hearing dogs were deaf :) It's selfish, really...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Are you talking about the videos I posted? They're all mine :) And no, I'm not especially dedicated or amazing, I just prefer deafies over hearing dogs. I've never once wished my deafies could hear, but constantly wish my hearing dogs were deaf :) It's selfish, really...
:) ..................... Yes ... your videos! I just find it wonderful AND interesting. I am sure I will be following any and all info on training deaf dogs. Certainly there must be animals in shelters and rescues that are literally passed up because of their inability to see or hear. I think it is great that there are people who can see beyond this. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
:) ..................... Yes ... your videos! I just find it wonderful AND interesting. I am sure I will be following any and all info on training deaf dogs. Certainly there must be animals in shelters and rescues that are literally passed up because of their inability to see or hear. I think it is great that there are people who can see beyond this. :)
There absolutely are! Scout was passed up time and time again, and was 2 hours from being pts. the only reason given? she's deaf. People weren't willing to look past that and see how awesome she really is! She is quite honestly, the best dog I have ever had, and the best dog my Mom has ever had (she kept her when I moved out for several reasons, though it killed me to do so, it was better for Scout to stay) she is the easiest to train, and the easiest dog in the house... honestly, no one could ask for a better companion dog, ever! and yet, people would come to see her, then leave without her, even though she was perfect... just because of her deafness. Well, we're trying really hard to change that, and since I started doing demos and talking about deaf dogs so much, there are more than a few people who've told me they would look for a deaf dog next time... If we can save just one with the training and the time spent talking, we will have accomplished our goals!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This bully was close to being PTS and it just broke my heart. The shelter workers had such wonderful things to say about him, so a rescue pulled him and I adopted him! SO EXCITED!!

I have 3 other rescues at home, all hearing, so this will be a fun challenge.

Once I get him, I will post pics.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Congratulations! :) I will definitely be waiting to see the pics!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My friend runs her deaf sheltie in agility. Here are some of her videos. Alva is a great dog. He is trained using hand signals and body posture.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DeafSheltieMom?feature=watch

My mother's dog is deaf also. He is a wonderful companion for her. When we got him from the shelter, we didn't know that he was deaf. Figured it out in no time though.

One thing to be aware of is to try not to accidentally startle the dog and don't let people do that. Some people think it is funny to startle deaf dogs, especially while they are sleeping. That is just plain rude.

Sara, your videos are amazing. You and your dogs are great! Just curious, what kind of marker do you use?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing to be aware of is to try not to accidentally startle the dog and don't let people do that. Some people think it is funny to startle deaf dogs, especially while they are sleeping. That is just plain rude.

Seriously? That is not only rude, but ignorant and mean.....that will never happen at my house!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use a little LED light. I use it exactly the same way you'd use a clicker (you can see it flash now and then in Mouse's video) But if you want a clear picture of how I train, Here's a video I did of Mouse's first session learning to "read a book" I have videos of Boo and Oliver as well. The videos are long, but a good example of how I train a deaf dog :) (and in Oliver's case a good comparison between deaf dog training, and hearing dog training.

Mouse's video

Oliver's video

And Boo's video

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So Cavalier - Agility would be an awesome idea. He is very athletic.

Deaf dogs - great videos. I am getting him settled in before we start working. He already knows no, stop and come. Once I get his attention, he is very responsive. He keeps his eyes on me most of the time. He has learned to play with the other dogs and interacts beautifully with them. I will try to figure out posting pics!

So far ,all is going great. He is such a sweet dog. He has many old scars from fights, so I am sure he was a bait dog, since he is so passive and sweet. If one of the other dogs reprimands him, he listens and backs off, very respectfully.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Deafdogs.org is a great site to visit. My dog isn't deaf, but he doesn't respond to verbals much (I suspect he was harshly trained by his former owner), and they have great resources on training without using words.

In my experience, dogs learn gestures quicker than words, and dogs that can't hear aren't distracted by sounds, so he should be fairly easy to train.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts