Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/02/rescued-weimaraner-to-show-at-westminster-2012/

Heartwarming story. I know this dog, seen him at shows but never knew this story.

I know his handler well, he's one of the people that convinced BB's breeder to give BB to me to show rather than putting her in a pet home (which she probably would have been in rescue or in a new home by now (which i feel the guy would have done rather than sending her back to the breeder), the guy she was suppose to go to was an absolute jerk).

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Maverick to me will remain unforgettable, what a great scary tale to fairy tale story.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It's a very nice story. And I get that the guy does rescue, but purchasing a dog off Craig's list for a few dollars, complete with testicles and registration papers does not a "rescue dog" make.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
It's a very nice story. And I get that the guy does rescue, but purchasing a dog off Craig's list for a few dollars, complete with testicles and registration papers does not a "rescue dog" make.
Well I think the condition dog was in he was rescued from something at the very least starvation.

I had a young couple bring a Bull Mastiff to me for training and they actually bought the dog from the owner of a junk yard. When they got the dog he had a choke collar imbedded in his neck that a vet had to remove carefully. I suppose it was not a an official rescue cause they purchased the dog. I always thought if nothing else it was rescued from pain. This was long before Craig's list so maybe it does not count.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I understand he's not a rescue dog in the "traditional" way, but he certainly was rescued from a bad situation. I don't see him winning BOB/BOS at westminster as I think that will be duked out between two dogs (if they both show up, I know the one will), but he very well could get a select or AOM.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
A few years ago there was a GSD female who showed at the Westminster. The announcer said the dog was tied to a tree in a yard and the new owner went to the door and purchased the dog. I hope the best for him.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
That's a nice story. Reminds me of my Pentti who was I guess technically rescued (he was surrendered by his owners when he was around 1, microchip was still connected to the breeder, breeder was notified and paid all fees/transportation to get him back to Texas from Oregon) and turned in to a show dog. He may never show again (due to some fear issues that have come up after he was attacked by another dog outside of a show ring after breed judging) but he at least has his CH and was in Westminster last year. He was invited to Eukanuba last year, too.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
How awesome is that! I'd love to know why the breeder had been trying to get him back from the owners..

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I have a similar opinion of 'Rescues' that buy dogs from puppy mill auctions.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Maverick didn't get anything today. The vid will be up later today if anyone wants to see it on WKC sites.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts