Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued a two year old male cocker spaniel about a week ago. I'm just wondering what to do about his coat.. his fur is gorgeous and shiny but he has bumps all over his skin. The animal shelter vet said he doesn't have mites or anything along that line but I am not quite sure what to do. He's also very very itchy.
My other dog has skin issues so they're both fed a grain-free diet. Acana Pacifica supplemented with 1200 mg tablet of fish oil every day.
I've bathed him in oster oatmeal shampoo without much success, I have also tried mane n tail as a conditioner to see if that helped a bit. And nothing there either :/.
he IS on flea prevention, with that being advantage multi.
And another thing, he has this three or four inch area on his stomach that is kinda dry and scaley, I'm not sure what it is. He has bumps on his mid-back and a couple other issues.
Is this just something Im' gonna have to give time? He came from a neglectful home that let his fur overgrow and the shelter didn't trim him at all (lets go.. like.. six months without a trim bad) and he wasn't bathed... like.. ever. He's doing good now but is there any insight that you guys could provide?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Did the vet say anything about what the bumps could be?

He could have a skin infection, folliculitis most likely.

I would get a second opinion by a different vet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We should hopefully have a vet visit next week sometime. He's been on antibiotics for the last several weeks (broad spectrum) so I wouldn't think it would be an infection.

·
Registered
232 Posts
if you're feeding Acana Pacifica, and feeding fish oil as well, you should probably be supplementing with vit E as well. Fish oils deplete vit. E. Food is usually sprayed with vit E but it degrades rapidly once the bag is opened. There's a ton of info if you google it :)

Not that that has anything to do with the bumps, but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Cockers are known for skin and ear issues. I'd bathe the dog with a tea tree shampoo and see if that helps. He could also be reacting to the antibiotics, since he's been on them for awhile, or he could be having an allergic reaction to the flea medicine. Glad you've got a vet appointment. Acana Pacifica is a good food - may just take awhile to show an improvement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts