Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I recently rescued a new puppy and wanted to come get some advice and make sure that I treat my dog as well as I can. I do have a 13 year old German Shepherd already, and this new guy, Fedor, is now part of the family.

Anyone have any idea what breed he is? I thought a Black and Tan Coonhound when I first got him, however, he has started to have a little bit different look here recently...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He is a cutie! I love coonhounds, such great dogs.

You're right that he doesn't look precisely coonhoundy. This could be one of three things. (1) He's going through an awkward puppy phase. (2) He's mixed with something, maybe lab looking at the ears. (3) He is a coonhound, but he's a poorly bred coonhound. Now, I don't mean he's a bad dog, it might just be that whomever bred him wasn't a stickler for what coonhounds are supposed to be.

My guess is 2, but he's still growing, so who knows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never had a coonhound, but I grew up in South Carolina, and about every other house had one...

I'm thinking he's not purebred, but just curious as to what he's mixed with if he's not... There seem to be a lot of dogs with black and tan coloring. Dobermans, Black and Tan Coonhounds, Shepherds, etc.

Here is a side view from when I first got him...

I sent away one of those wisdompanel DNA tests just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He is very coonhoundy, but not quite enough, you know? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he is the product of a purebred coonhound parent and half coonhound, half lab parent.

There are a ton of black and tan breeds. People always default to GSD or rottweiler, but there's black and tan hounds, black and tan terriers, black and tan herders, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the best part, and I know that litters can have multiple fathers, but this is a sibling of Fedor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts