Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jinx came to us because she was running loose on the highway up by the horse rescue... it's been a couple weeks and we've had no luck in finding her owners. She's a love and of course I fell in love with her! She gets along very well with my dog, Belle a Papillon. Right now she's living at the horse rescue with the lady who runs it and her dogs.

Here's the thing, I'm 22 and I live at home. We have the dog safe space, the money, and the time to have a second dog. I do all the dog care, my parents just let Belle out whenever I'm not home for potty time. So a second wouldn't be that much more of a "burden" for them.

So, what I'm needing help with is how to ask them if Jinx can come live with us until either my boyfriend is able to take her home or I move into my own place- the latter will happen December/January. The place I'm moving to is dog friendly and the fee for a second dog is minimal and they have no weight restrictions.

Please please help me figure this out! I know she would have a loving forever home!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I think it all depends on how your parents like to be approached. For example, my husband likes to be asked straight out. If I start beating around the bush, he doesn't like it because he feels like he's being manipulated. So when I want something from him, I just ask straight out. You know your parents better than any of us, so what do you think is the best way to approach them?

I will say that you should have all their questions answered before you approach them. Think of all possible questions they might ask and have a good answer for them.

Finally, try to find THEIR value in letting you keep this dog. Is there anything they would benefit from by taking on this dog? Perhaps she would be a good playmate for Belle and keep her occupied. Or maybe you could offer to make an agreement that if they let you keep Jinx, you would do something for them that they don't like doing. Some household chore or something they'd like you to do?

Good luck!

·
Registered
823 Posts
The only thing I have to add is to make sure that your parents actually want the dog. It is not good for anyone to have a dog living where she is not wanted. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I hope they agree, and if they have any hesitations, strike up the argument that you did with us; You presented a very good case and offer all the points that support you.

It's a rarity to find a good stray like that, that just fits in with the other dogs so well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts