Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well hello forum.

Will my 6 year old beagle/dachschund over exert himself if let run at top speed while I follow on my longboard?

He loves to run and I have been letting him run run run just for fun. I love longboarding too, so it's a great way to get out enjoy life.

My only concern is what changes need to be made to his diet and whether or not he will over exert himself. I have only had him 1 month. We have a miniscule apartment and after getting this doxle I was really worried I wouldn't be able to exercise him adaquately.

Nevertheless, after running him at top speed, he is much leaner. He looks up to me like a god for being the first human to be able to keep up with him and out pace him on sprints. I feel there is no better way to teach a hound who is the pack animal than to get in front of them on a hunt.

Anyway, back to my main point. Is letting a dog exert himself to his hearts content the best way to exercise my doxle? Will contenting his heart's desire to run hurt his heart? Is he smart enough to know when enough is enough and to replenish himself with water and the healthy food I buy for him?

Also, the lady at the rescue suggested I feed him Kirkland Healthy Weight. He will need Kirkland high calorie in a few days if we keep this up. Any recommendations what brand to buy would be very welcomed. I don't want him eating ANY crap whatsoever. Our monthly food budget for him is under $24 thanks to Costco and I'd like to keep it under $40. Maybe there is some good canned stuff I can supplement with the kirkland.

Thank you for helping my beagle/dachschund!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You are violating board rules by not posting pictures of your "doxle"!

Welcome. First off, what does your vet say? I'd start by asking him. Proper food intake is easy to measure by looking at your dog. If he's too fat, lower the amount of food, if he's too thin, raise the amount of food. (I'd switch to regular food, not weight loss food. Weight loss food tends to have a lot of filler to keep the bulk the same while reducing the calories. You can just feed less of the regular food.)

Proper water intake is 1/2 - 1 oz of water for every 1 lb of weight, adjusting for activity levels and temperature. Some dogs won't drink enough, you can encourage them by adding a little low sodium chicken broth to their water, praising water consumption, making sure every room has a bowl of water, etc. Very few dogs will self regulate food, so don't free feed a dog. Carefully measure food intake instead.

Watch for signs of exhaustion and pain, like limping, sleeping too much, refusing to eat or drink, shaking, snappiness. Check his feet for cracked pads, blisters and cuts.

How long is his back? Full doxies are prone to back problems, so that's something keep in mind.

Edit: I initially said 1/2 oz to 1 oz of water per 2lbs of weight. it's per 1 lb of weight. So a 50lb dog would need between 25 and 50 oz of water, depending upon activity level and temperature.

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Is letting a dog exert himself to his hearts content the best way to exercise my doxle? Will contenting his heart's desire to run hurt his heart? Is he smart enough to know when enough is enough and to replenish himself with water and the healthy food I buy for him?
Yes, dogs can overdo it. Especially when it is hot because at a full out run, they can overheat so quickly. They can also get caught up in the adrenaline of the excitement of running and not notice things like cut up paw pads, sore muscles and the signs of overheating etc.

Always have water available to him in the house, when you go running either plan a trip around water fountains or put a water bottle in a backpack and carry a lightweight bowl (I use the kind that deli sandwich meat comes in, the resealable cheap plastic kind). Stop frequently for water, especially if he starts to slow down significantly, if his tongue gets wide and droopy, he stumbles at all, his stride becomes sloppy or his eyes glassy. Those are signs of heat exhaustion which can lead to heat stroke. At that point, stop right away, get into the shade and let him lay down, pant and drink a little water and then a little more water (no gulping a whole bunch at once).

Stop and check his paws after running on rough surfaces or where there may be broken glass and debris. I stop every 20 minutes in warm weather for water and a paw check if running and every 30-40 minutes if walking. I have a large breed dog. I personally don't run him at all if the temps are over 85 degrees and between 80 and 85 degrees we can do shorter runs in the shade.

Adding warm water to his kibble both makes it tastier and helps make sure he gets plenty of water throughout the course of the day. Hydration isn't just for during exercise, the dog (and human) should go into the workout well hydrated. Once you (or the dog) is feels thirst, you're already dehydrated.

Also, the lady at the rescue suggested I feed him Kirkland Healthy Weight. He will need Kirkland high calorie in a few days if we keep this up. Any recommendations what brand to buy would be very welcomed. I don't want him eating ANY crap whatsoever. Our monthly food budget for him is under $24 thanks to Costco and I'd like to keep it under $40. Maybe there is some good canned stuff I can supplement with the kirkland.
For a smaller dog, most of the good quality brands will come in under $40/month. Kirkland is decent, I wouldn't feed the 'healthy weight" or "weight loss" of any brand. Just feed a good adult or all-life-stages dog food. Taste of the Wild is popular and found in many pet stores, I feed Earthborn Holistics and even at $50/bag my 75 lbs dog only needs a bag every 5 weeks or so, putting it well within your budget. Arcana, Orijien are two other high end brands that become very affordable if you have a small dog.
Many people like grain free foods, if you feed grain inclusive then you want to be looking for a named meat or meat-meal for the first ingredient or preferably, first 2-3 ingredients (note that meat-meal is NOT the same as meat by-product. Meal is simply meat processed and the water removed, making it more concentrated by volume). You generally can find plenty of good choices at PetSmart or Petco or similar local chains but very rarely at WalMart or grocery stores. 4Health brand is sold at Tractor Supply and is a decent grain-inclusive food at a good price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are violating board rules by not posting pictures of your "doxle"!

Welcome. First off, what does your vet say? I'd start by asking him. Proper food intake is easy to measure by looking at your dog. If he's too fat, lower the amount of food, if he's too thin, raise the amount of food. (I'd switch to regular food, not weight loss food. Weight loss food tends to have a lot of filler to keep the bulk the same while reducing the calories. You can just feed less of the regular food.)

Proper water intake is 1/2 - 1 oz of water for every 1 lb of weight, adjusting for activity levels and temperature. Some dogs won't drink enough, you can encourage them by adding a little low sodium chicken broth to their water, praising water consumption, making sure every room has a bowl of water, etc. Very few dogs will self regulate food, so don't free feed a dog. Carefully measure food intake instead.

Watch for signs of exhaustion and pain, like limping, sleeping too much, refusing to eat or drink, shaking, snappiness. Check his feet for cracked pads, blisters and cuts.

How long is his back? Full doxies are prone to back problems, so that's something keep in mind.

Edit: I initially said 1/2 oz to 1 oz of water per 2lbs of weight. it's per 1 lb of weight. So a 50lb dog would need between 25 and 50 oz of water, depending upon activity level and temperature.

1) my violation
I apologize. I made up for it with these videos.
http://youtu.be/Fwe79C5XHxg
http://youtu.be/QXLwPVgAo3M

2) the vet
Just got off the phone with the vet. She said run him to his hearts content but offer water frequently and keep an eye on any signs of fatigue

3) food
He does regulate his food intake. He eats half a bowl in the morning and finishes it at night. Sometimes I will add some chicken, carrot, or cheese to his food at night. He won't eat the food dry, I have to wet it for him. If you interrupt him he won't eat again the rest of the night.

4) his back
You can see in the videos it his back is arched and his tail dances above his frame like a true beagle. His dachschund comes out in his subtle length which expands his chest cavity and makes his lung capacity abnormally high. I suppose this is why he can run at the pace I am running him in the second video.

Thank you for your help amaryllis! what kind of dog(s) do you have? I really just hope billy retains his beagle health qualities. They are my favorite breed for obvious reasons. He's a stud muffin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Shell, thank you the tongue thing happens while he runs for about 10 minutes. That looks like his first and most minimal warning sign and I will make sure it is only warning sign.

He's sleeping right next to me as I type this and his breathing just got really fast paced and his legs started twitching. I wonder if he's dreaming of running with me. Whatever it is, he's out cold!

Perhaps he drinks less water because I wet his food so much.

I'm going to get the orijen. Simply because I want to see how it changes his body and attitude. If it makes him full of life and health, then I can't buy anything else. Thank you Shell, this was great advice. I'll give the little guy a couple days to recoup from our workouts and then let him have fun again. Hopefully the Orijen makes a difference.

What do you guys think of the video?

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Very cute dog. He looks like he should be able to run a couple miles once he's nice and fit and accustomed to it.

I suggest using a harness (a regular walking harness, not one of the front attach "easy walk" types) when skateboarding with him. If you catch the leash on anything or take a tumble, you don't want the leash to yank hard on his neck. If its attached to a harness and yanks hard, it spreads the impact over his much sturdier chest and body area.

Most dogs will start panting with their tongue out when they first start to need to cool themselves, when the tongue really starts to droop and become kind of "muscle-less" is when they're overheating.

Ha yes, the dreams. Chester does that- he'll run in his sleep and his lip will start twitching for dream-scent.

Orijen is a very good quality food, but it is very high in protein and for some dogs it is too high/too rich. Make sure to switch his food slowly, over about 2 weeks. Each day, put a little less of the old food and a little more of the old food. Note the calorie count in Orijen, a dog will need to eat less of it than Kirklands or other mid-range foods and a lot less (by volume) than grocery store foods which are mostly corn and fillers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts