Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've been a volunteer with one rescue group here for about a year, and a good friend of mine is on the board of the non-profit that is behind another one. I went to visit her at the non-profit shelter Friday and in about .00009 seconds fell head over heels for this little lab puppy.

A BYB was raided after numerous reports of noise issues etc (I'd bark my head off too if I was on a 2 foot lead in mud all day but that's another story). Anyway, this particular BYB was breeding Labs. Lovable, purebred, goofy labs. So the mom and dad that were there were both taken to the no-kill shelter (where my friend is on the board) and low and behold....the mom is pregnant. When the puppies were born, they were born in the shelter. This is the only life the little pup had known.

Mom and dad both got adopted but this was the last of her litter. Solid black lab...seems we have some raging BDS here.

She's been named Chance...(16 weeks old, born on Valentine's day) and is (thankfully) well socialized with dogs and people and cats. And aparrently a horse, pot bellied pig and some assorted reptiles.

Oh yeah, I do have an actual question! (She's not my first lab...but it has been a few years since I've had one. Loosing the last one was hard, but dogs don't live forever.) Anyway, no puppy messes when she's playing inside. No chewing issues yet, she's quite happy with toys and is responding very well to 'no', seems to have half a clue what 'sit' and 'down' mean so far.

As soon as her puppy feet hit grass outside, it's potty time. Liquids emptied. But she's a bit reluctant to activate the puppy solid waste factory outside.

I know the shelter was doing free feeding, so the adjusting to an actual schedule will take some time. But even taking her out every 30 minutes after eating (for up to 3 hours....in/out) at a stretch....the solids aren't happening. No blockages, because she had no issue with doing that in the crate after being in there about 10 minutes.

So the question is....aside from the usual walk her until she's tired...over and over...praise...etc....ideas for encouraging this outside at all?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Almost forgot....crate training is a breeze so far. She's not the least bit phased, wanders in and out of it, naps, plays, chews toys.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Thanks for adopting her! She sounds like a great pup.

She's probably just a bit nervous. She in a new environment with a new person, so she's having a little trouble. One thing you can do is get some waste from when she goes inside, and take it outside where you'd like her to go. Other than that, it's mostly just having patience, being consistent and praising successes to the heavens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When she is going inside, is she going on the floor or in her crate? If she's going on the floor she shouldn't be allowed to have an accident on the floor. When she is out of the crate always have her tethered to you so you can watch her every second and the second she looks like she has to go by circling, sniffing, etc., take her outside immediately, then praise, praise and praise her some more for going outside. If she's going in the crate than it sounds like shes' not on a solid schedule and not being taken out frequently enough or on a schedule. Once she is on a strict feeding/outing schedule and not allowed to have an accident on the floor, it will only be a matter of a week or so before she catches on. Be consistent, very consistent. Good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems to be the difference in the free feeding at the shelter vs a feeding schedule with me. She is catching up with the schedule bit by bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts