Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rescue pup's breed is keeping me puzzled!

Hello, all!

I'm not sure whether or not this is the right place to post this question, but hopefully someone will be able to offer insight!

2 months ago, I adopted an approximately three month old puppy from the SPCA. Now I know it is pure speculation since a mutt, regardless of the mix, can differ widely in appearance, but I'm curious as to what possible breeds lay dormant in my puppy's genes!

Under some angles, he looks very much like a little pitbull, although he has long ears that drop at the tips (I'm thinking they may straighten out with age), a longer muzzle than that of a pitbull and relatively long fur (depending on the areas and disregarding the tail which is thicker, it's mostly half to three quarters of an inch), which leads me to think he may have some german shepherd in him! Although he also seems to have the boxer body...

I'd love to know your opinion! Do any of you have similar-looking dogs?

Nikolai at 3 months old:
IMG-20120229-00363.jpg
Recent pictures:
IMG-20120429-00419.jpg IMG-20120430-00426.jpg IMG-20120430-00424.jpg IMG-20120430-00431.jpg IMG-20120430-00434.jpg

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Re: Rescue pup's breed is keeping me puzzled!

OMG, he is SO cute! That face!

I'm seeing greyhound in there, to be honest. Maybe a greyhound x APBT mix? This guy is a greyhound x pit and he looks a lot like yours.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts

Maybe some Basenji? I've only seen those "slanted" eyes on Basenjis, although possibly some other breeds have them. I agree that his body shape seems to have some sighthound (Greyhound, etc.) influence.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

Agree with Amaryllis, some pics made me think of Greyhound mix too. Especially the second and last photograph.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank you so much, everyone!

I've got to say I never even considered greyhound or basenji into the mix, but after seeing the picture Amaryllis included and googling what you've suggested, those dogs look very much like him! Although I'll never know for sure, it's always interesting to consider all the possibilities. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you very much! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts