Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just joined this forum so I can educate myself further on dog training. I've been reading around the threads but figure it can't hurt to post my own.

I have two pups, one 3 year old cocker spaniel/bichon frise mix, Sawyer. I've had him since he was 4 months old. He really never gave me too much trouble except for some aggression issues we worked out. He's just about the laziest dog I've ever met and definitely a people-pleaser.

My other pup, Moxie, is our newest addition. My SO and I saw her at an adoption event and fell in love. We weren't intending to get a 2nd dog but we couldn't stop thinking about her after we left the store (where the event was being held). Later that afternoon we brought Sawyer to meet her. There was some initial apprehension but they seemed to like each other and she just drew us in with her big personality! Needless to say we brought her home that day.

Moxie is a wonderful dog, she has the sweetest disposition. When we adopted her we were told she was an Airedale Terrier mix. Our vet is becoming more and more convinced that she is mixed with Irish Wolfhound. A real beauty and growing like a weed! She's about 7 months old. In her first 6 months of life she was abandoned twice. When we got her she was all skin and bones, covered in flea bites and absolutely full of whipworms. Supposedly her last owner surrendered her because she was "too hyper". I'm happy to say she's all healthy now!

Moxie has taught me just how much I don't know about dog training. We'll be starting basic classes in January but for now I need some pointers. This pup is smart as a whip and has picked up on a lot very quickly. She was crate trained within a week and it took about 2 weeks for her and Sawyer to really begin to be best-buds. She's very hyper and he's very mellow so he snapped at her a few times to keep her from jumping on his head (rightly so) but now they wrestle together and follow each other around like long-lost siblings. She knows sit, shake, lay down, "kennel" and "down" (not that she always listens) and "gentle" (meaning, take the treat gently don't grab for it). She is EXTREMELY food motivated. I've never seen a dog eat a bowl of food as quickly as her.

I'm teaching her "spot", which is to go to a corner of our living room and lay in her bed on command. Sometimes when they get too worked up I can get Sawyer to go lay down but she will still pester him. So I'm teaching her spot so they can go separate ways.

What I can't seem to handle myself is A) Her jumping and B) Freaking out when I go outside.

I haven't figured out how to take both dogs outside to potty together, as Moxie just wants to play and Sawyer just wants to pee (haha) so I do it separate. But whenever Sawyer is outside with me Moxie freaks out inside the house. I can put her in her kennel and she will just bark nonstop (usually she is quiet in her kennel unless she knows she's missing out on something) or if I leave her in the house, even for 3 minutes, she will bark and whine and jump and scratch at the front door.

Sawyer used to get really upset when I would leave and become agitated when I would come home so I used the ignoring-technique whenever I walked through the door. I'm doing that for Moxie but it doesn't make a difference, she still flips out when I leave and jumps around like a kangaroo when I come back. I swear she can jump higher than I am tall!

She is only getting bigger and stronger and I want to quell this behavior before she is too big for me to handle alone (as my SO is frequently gone for work). The barking is driving me nuts and I feel like a prisoner in my home because I can't go in and out freely without worrying about her, and the sanity of myself and my neighbors.

Any advice/tips/tricks?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great that you adopted this dog. But as you said, she was abandoned twice in her short life, so why would you be surprised she acts as she does?
1) First, she is a puppy and acts according to her age, regardless of how tall or big she gets (she doesn't know that). Treat her like a puppy.
2) As pup, she has extra energy to burn. This should be priority #1: keep her active and give her a "job" to do. A lot of playtime, running, walking. She needs to be tired and will be happier.
3) She may suffer from separation anxiety. Do you crate her when you are away? Work slowly and teach her to be in the crate, while you are still in sight. Gradually leave for a min and then come back. After a min or 2, open the door and let her out - playing continues. Do that a few times every day. It takes time and LOTS of patience. Practice getting out in the yard, while she remains inside, then get back in just a minute or two. She needs to be certain that nothing happens while you are away and that you always come back.
4) Do not walk both dogs together before you control her better. When starting with both dogs, ask someone to help you and take short walks at first. Again, be consistent and patient, while giving her time.
5) Some breeds are vocal and bark more than others. It may be part of her personality. Anyway, there are ways to control excessive barking. Check the internet, as well as many great books.
Good Luck

·
Registered
146 Posts
As far as the jumping goes make sure you are sending the right signals, or not sending signals as the case should be. Do not touch her, don't look at her and don't speak to her. She is in a super excited state and anything you do just plays into that. The best thing to do is to calmly turn around and just ignore her. You may have to wait her out for a while. I like the corners of rooms for this because I can put myself in a corner and the dog can't get around in front of me to try and get my attention. Only when the dog is quiet and still will I turn back around. A bonus is if you have treats you can really praise her for being calm. This takes time, patience and consistancy (this includes letting your SO as well as any guests in on the proper way to handle jumping). I know you said you have already been trying and maybe more exercise can take the edge off her energy? It may just take more time, it doesn't sound like you have had her for all that long yet. I do know that the 'ignore method' is the only thing that I've seen work. Keep with it. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts