Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
You know I've fostered a lot of puppies and rescues, and I mean 20 years of sometimes 20 dogs at a time LOL This was mainly because we had a quarantine area of the farm where I could keep dogs newly out of tshelters, till they were vetted and healthy. And I was often asked to go to sheltes and pick 10-20 dogs for a rescue. One thing I've noticed, is dogs will stop in shock if you give a high yip like they hurt you when they nip at you. Then, don't laugh, just get up and leave, or CALMLY crate them and walk away. If you do this each time they are too rough, they stop quickly. You don't have to be gone outside the room for long. A few minutes is long enough. If it's a puppy and not aggressive but too mouthy, I sometimes substitute a toy to chew on to teach them what is appropriate to chew. But if they hurt, I yip a high loud noise they never hear otherwise and walk out of the room. Then when you see them again, treat them calmly and normally., like nothing happened. Mother dogs do the same. You'll see a discipline growl, then they walk away. This is one reason we like pups to stay 8-10 weeks with the mother, because she teaches them correct behavior. But you can mimic it and get good results. Another good noise to learn with dogs is a loud "AAAT AAT" sound. I can have 8 dogs in a play group and one is getting too wound up and irritating another. If I give a strong "AAT", I swear the only dog that will look at me is the one causing the problem. It sure appears they KNOW they are behaving badly LMBO

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.