Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,689 Posts
American Pit Bull Terriers are absolutely a breed, despite not being recognized by the AKC. The American Staffordshire Terrier (which is recognized) actually split off from them, if I recall correctly. Though I do think that the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (which is different than the Amstaff) either originated from the same ancestors or was part of the foundation for both breeds - I'm not sure which off the top of my head.

Granted, a lot of people use 'pit bull' to describe any smooth-coated, blocky-headed, muscular dog of any breed and mix, which is definitely inaccurate and misleading. But that doesn't mean that there isn't American Pit Bull Terrier in a lot of mixed breed shelter dogs in the US.

Mixed breed puppies are hard to guess! They grow and change so much, and a lot of distinguishing breed characteristics only develop at maturity. If I had to guess for this cutie (and this is just a guess for fun, it doesn't mean anything about this specific dog's future behavior or temperament), I'd say lab, husky and/or shepherd would be my top three.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.