Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the "Read before posting" but was not 100% sure if this is the right spot to ask this question . If it is wrong , I am sorry and I will try and repost it to correct place . My question is about required deposits . We have adopted the majority of our dogs over the years but are currently looking to buy a pup from a breeder . I do understand with this Covid mess going on some things have changed but would like to ask if this is normal for right now . We found a pup for sale we like and it is only 15 miles away according to there site . The breeder said we need to place a deposit before seeing the pup . We offered to bring the deposit and give it to them face to face before seeing the pup . But they "No our deposit before coming for us to hold the puppy and wait " . For me it seemed fishy , we were bring cash and would be paying for the pup in full and taking it home if we liked it . And they said the deposit was refundable if we didn't like the pup for any reason . Is this the way most breeders are doing it these days ?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I do think a lot of breeders want deposits to prove the buyer is serious, but you have to evaluate when it's required and how much. My own philosophy towards deposits is to never pay one unless I can afford to lose it and will be willing to walk away if something doesn't suit right up to the last minute. The only time I paid one was when buying from a breeder more than a thousand miles from me. It was $100 against a $1,500 purchase price and wasn't asked for until the litter was born, so it seemed reasonable. I only wanted a female and once they were born knew there were 4 bitch puppies. The breeder sent pics regularly and a video once the puppies were up and at it. That was enough to satisfy me until I flew to get the puppy when she was 8 weeks old.

But 15 miles away? I'd think a decent breeder would be willing to work with you to see the puppies after they reach 6 weeks or so. Covid or not, it only takes a streak of decent weather - puppies outside for a few minutes, you're there and can see. Has the breeder sent pics and/or videos? Do you have breeder references from their veterinarian and/or previous puppy people?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pups are 13 weeks old and the breeder seems to dodging questions about certain things . May be wrong but that saying it walks like a duck , sounds like a duck but smells fishy . I will pass on this and look else were , . Not finding info on this breeder to feel comfortable with . But with offer of face to face meet with cash for a refundable deposit and possible payment for purchase and the closeness we live I think breeder would be more open . The deposit is half of purchase price .

·
Registered
838 Posts
The pups are 13 weeks old and the breeder seems to dodging questions about certain things . May be wrong but that saying it walks like a duck , sounds like a duck but smells fishy . I will pass on this and look else were
[/QUOTE
Sounds like the wise way to go to me. Good luck finding a better breeder and your pup.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
a deposit to hold a space in an upcoming litter or a very young/newborn litter makes sense in general

But I cannot see any good explaination for a deposit required to see pups that are ready to go to their new homes.

It sounds like a puppyscam to me

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would it do any good to report to police ? No money has changed hands so no crime has been done . Reminds me of when selling something and guy sent a obviously fake money order and he wanted his 'CHANGE" sent back with the item . Asked the police and got told I would have to deposit the Money order for them to start a investigation and I wasn't doing that .

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Honestly, since no money has changed hands, and no goods are undelivered, there isn't a whole lot the police could do anyway, other than maybe make a PSA on the local news about puppy scams in general.

Reactions: soonerfan66
1 - 7 of 7 Posts