Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is none in any of my local stores, canned or fresh, only pie mix. When they finally get some I am buying all of it lol.

Are any of the other squashes suitable as a temporary replacement? Like Butternut or Acorn squash?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm well I picked up an acorn squash while I was there, so I will see if she likes that tonight

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If she doesn't like butternut squash, she's not a proper dog! LOL

I would bake it at 350 for an hour (roughly) and scoop out the contents. We grow these. My dogs LOVE them!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I baked the acorn squash I had for an hour, peeled off the skin and gave her a chunk to see what she thought. She is pretty agreeable :p And the instant difference in the color and texture of her poop reminds me of why I started feeding pumpkin to start with!

My other question is about the butternut. Do you give them the whole thing once it is cooked? Because with the acorn I was a little worried about her pulling the skin off without chewing it and choking on it.

For now I have mushed up the acorn squash and it is in a jar ready to be mixed in with her meals or frozen in her kong, like I did with the pumpkin.

And it smells sooooo much better than pumpkin lol

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't give them the skin, just because it's such a different texture than the meat, that it could get stuck to the roof of the mouth and/or they could choke on a strip of it. I don't think it would hurt them, but it's really easy to scoop it out, once it's baked.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts