Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to Petsmart tonight to pick up some treats and toys with Marge, and I bought an 8oz package of VitaLife Chicken Chips. Hmm, I thought, 100% Chicken, don't have to worry about nasty stuff like food coloring and corn. Well, now I come home and read online that they're made in China. :eek: With the inconsistency in food testing coupled with the previous recalls, I'm a bit alarmed.. should I dump this bag in the garbage? I mean they smell fine to me, Marge likes them, but I don't want her to get sick!

WHYYY doesn't Petsmart sells the brands I actually use?! I was all set to pick up Natural Balance food rolls and use those as training treats, but nope.. don't carry my Merrick kibble either... :mad:

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah PureMutt, I usually do stick with the American stuff. I just didn't read the bag this time.

I was trying to find a smallish treat, because my dad would rather give my dog 1,000 big treats instead of breaking them up into smaller pieces. And with the 100% chicken thing, it caught my eye. A lot of the other stuff was like artificial cheese, full of fillers, etc. There were also a ton of Peanut Butter treats, and with the recalls I want to stay away from those, too.

Most of the recalls I found were from Jerky, like you said. I read some reviews that people raved over this treat, and then of course other links popped up about recalls and stuff. This treat wasn't really mentioned by name, but it's still alarming.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I usually get Dogswell. You know, if you call them up, you can request free samples of their products. I did this, and they were happy to send me free stuff. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I usually get Dogswell. You know, if you call them up, you can request free samples of their products. I did this, and they were happy to send me free stuff. :)
Dogswell treats are actually made in China. Their canned foods are made in the US (or so they say) but if you read the bag of the treats, they say China. Just so you know because I was disappointed to find this out.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Dogswell treats are actually made in China. Their canned foods are made in the US (or so they say) but if you read the bag of the treats, they say China. Just so you know because I was disappointed to find this out.
NOOOOOoooOOOoooo!!! That totally stinks!! Good thing I still have my receipt. Thanks for the heads up by the way.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i'm finding it harder and harder to find the treats and chews that are made in the states....it seems just about everything is "made in China, Brazil, Taiwan, etc".....it pisses me off....

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm finding it harder and harder to find the treats and chews that are made in the states....it seems just about everything is "made in China, Brazil, Taiwan, etc".....it pisses me off....
Yep, Tirluc, I hear you..

I should have known, the price was just too good to be a high quality treat. Most of Petsmart's stuff is junk, their "big" food is Nutro (not that Nutro is a terrible food, but there are many WAY better out there) and most of their treats are of the garbage variety. Petland, which I also have nearby, carries a couple of decent foods but almost no treats.

And a lot of the other stores are puppy-selling no good places. A lot of their prices are high too, which gives me yet another incentive not to buy from them.

It's tough...

·
Registered
818 Posts
I agree with you Tirluc! It is getting harder....and it seems that when I do find an American made treat that I think would be a good one for them, I get excited, bring it home, tear open the bag only to have my dogs not like it! Especially Lucy Mae...pickiest dog on the planet! But boy do they like the treats from China LOL! Sheesh.....I only like to give them things made in America, tho'! And thank goodness, I have a small, locally owned store that mostly sells American made food/treats...Yeah! They are actually weeding out the China stuff. :)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
PetSmart will take back open products.

We sell Pet Botanics rolls, similar to the Natural Balance.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
PetSmart doesn't have Natural Balance?

I was considering switching Wally to that brand once he's done with his puppy food (I think this will be the last bag before he switches to an adult food).

Nice to know they don't carry it before I went there looking for it.

Guess there's always the internet.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it must vary from store to store. I haven't seen rolls anywhere in my store. I guess I can look into buying them through the website.

Thank you for the info, Jesirose, I'm just over here kickin' myself for not reading everything and taking it out in the form of a rant.. :eek:

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
PetSmart doesn't have Natural Balance?
No, PetCo has Natural Balance, we have Pet Botanics and some stores have Deli Fresh.

I think it must vary from store to store. I haven't seen rolls anywhere in my store. I guess I can look into buying them through the website.

Thank you for the info, Jesirose, I'm just over here kickin' myself for not reading everything and taking it out in the form of a rant.. :eek:
No problem! I haven't bothered to look because half the time I buy Sadie the most "healthy" treats I can, and the rest I just get whatever is cheapest per ounce and use my discount :) She can have junk food, what the heck.

ETA: Pet Botanics is made in the USA: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3262859
And so is Deli Fresh / Fresh Bites
http://www.delifreshpet.com/faq/index.htm

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i found that the best way to go is to find a butcher that you can get raw bones from for nothing to cheap.....i have one not too far from me that i can get as many as i want and then i freeze them....the only problem is when you give them to the dog/s you have to be careful so they don't upset tummies....i like to take mine from the freezer, broil them to cook the meat/gristle up good and that way the bone is still raw but it doesn't upset them to much.....

and w/ these, you know they ain't from China.....:D:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts