Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My dog seems reluctant to obey any commands. I use seems loosely: she will look at me for a couple of seconds until something else captures her attention.
This is most noticeable when trying to get her to come back from wherever she's run off to. I have tried starting recall training from scratch but it doesn't work once the leash is removed. Similarly I've tried walking away until she follows or having my second dog obey the command in front of the her.
Clearly a lack of respect is the issue. Curiously, the obedience of my second dog is near perfect.
Any ideas how i could solve the problem?
Thx

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
This isn't a respect issue. This is a competing motivation issue, and a training issue. The problem is you're asking for too much behavior, too soon, and you don't have a motivator to teach the behavior.

I highly recommend:

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Ditto.

You might want to back up and work on engagement with this dog before working on specific commands. All dogs are different and perhaps what you've been doing is motivating enough for the other dog, but it doesn't seem to be motivating enough for this one.

A good way to work on this is to try to act excited yourself, get the dog's attention and then reward with treats or play. On a walk, treat the dog when it looks up at you, just for looking at you. You need to be more exciting than the environment and your rewards need to be more rewarding than the self-rewarding she's doing by looking around. I'd also start training someplace pretty secure for her and boring, a place she is every day like your living room or backyard, then slowly add distractions so that you have less to compete with for longer. Figure out which treats are the highest value to her and what kind of play is the most exciting and then you can use those as rewards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts