Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dog who is presumed to be a beagle, JRT, cattle dog mix. She is a little over one year old. She has been through training classes and we have tried all the conventional ways of training and certain behaviors don't seem to get any better. She begs for food constantly. However, she has never once been given table food. We were told by a trainer that constantly ignoring her would make her give up. But every time there is food around, she is right there and she has even jumped and stolen food off the table or off a plate while I was holding it. She honestly acts like a savage, like she has never eaten before. Once she gets the food, she literally swallows it whole, even if it is large, or has bones (keep in mind, she is 13 lbs). We have even resorted to getting a shock collar for her to keep her away from us while we eat, but it only works for a second then she's back again.

Another issue is her jumping. She jumps on us, and she jumps really high, in an effort to get attention. She jumps on anybody willing to give her attention. We tried the usual "ignore the behavior and it will stop" method but even when we ignore and walk away from her, she will jump up and bite me, sometimes tearing clothing. When on a walk, we have tried stepping on her leash when people greet her, but instead of just giving up and staying where she is, she will still try to jump and get out of her harness. She is just absolutely relentless. We have even tried crating her when we come home, until she is less excited and therefore less likely to jump, but as soon as she seems calm, we let her out and she goes crazy again, jumping all over us. She also jumps on the couch, which we continually correct but she still keeps doing it. Does anybody have any advice on less conventional training techniques we can try. I am just about at my wits end with this dog.

I would also like to clarify that she gets plenty of exercise (dog park and walks every day) and she eats high quality food (blue buffalo).

·
Registered
703 Posts
Eeek to the shock collar...I know you must be feeling really at your wits end if you've resorted to this. In my expereince corporal punishment does not work on dogs and only hurts your relationship with them in the long run.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'less conventional' techniques.

Can you use a barrier- like a baby gate to separate her from the family dining table? Or train 'leave-it'?

We did the ignore and it worked- they will lay down- but we had a toddler over who was raising a ruckus in her chair, my husband was laughing a lot, and the dogs were a little more insistent- kept standing up and trying to get at the food.

Our puppies did the biting and jumping when they were young, and we did a lot of bite inhibition training, but the excessive biting stopped at about 5 months as well.

Can you work with a trainer one on one for a few sessions? It seems like these quirks would be quick to fix.

I have a dog who is presumed to be a beagle, JRT, cattle dog mix. She is a little over one year old. She has been through training classes and we have tried all the conventional ways of training and certain behaviors don't seem to get any better. She begs for food constantly. However, she has never once been given table food. We were told by a trainer that constantly ignoring her would make her give up. But every time there is food around, she is right there and she has even jumped and stolen food off the table or off a plate while I was holding it. She honestly acts like a savage, like she has never eaten before. Once she gets the food, she literally swallows it whole, even if it is large, or has bones (keep in mind, she is 13 lbs). We have even resorted to getting a shock collar for her to keep her away from us while we eat, but it only works for a second then she's back again.

Another issue is her jumping. She jumps on us, and she jumps really high, in an effort to get attention. She jumps on anybody willing to give her attention. We tried the usual "ignore the behavior and it will stop" method but even when we ignore and walk away from her, she will jump up and bite me, sometimes tearing clothing. When on a walk, we have tried stepping on her leash when people greet her, but instead of just giving up and staying where she is, she will still try to jump and get out of her harness. She is just absolutely relentless. We have even tried crating her when we come home, until she is less excited and therefore less likely to jump, but as soon as she seems calm, we let her out and she goes crazy again, jumping all over us. She also jumps on the couch, which we continually correct but she still keeps doing it. Does anybody have any advice on less conventional training techniques we can try. I am just about at my wits end with this dog.

I would also like to clarify that she gets plenty of exercise (dog park and walks every day) and she eats high quality food (blue buffalo).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Your dog and food sound much like my experience with Beagles. They are relentless food hogs. Mine is right under the table during dinner, and if we don't pay attention, he's on top of the table after dinner. I was just dealing with him tonight, our other dog is sick and not eating much, when she left, he was on the bowl vacuuming it clean, when I got it back there were a few kibble left. When he is pulling off one of his raids, yep, he is 100% savage only regaining composure awhile later.

But his relentless search for food at the dinner table sounds over the top. Is it not possible to protect your food better, and keep her on the floor where she belongs? Our beagle accesses our table from the chairs when we are not sitting down, I am trying to be vigilant about seeing the chairs are under the table so he does not climb up.

The jumping up on people sounds like the JRT in her. and you have it right, she wants your attention. Check out the sticky on NILIF: Nothing in life is free, its a way of dealing with attention seeking dogs and taking back your life and leadership. Its in the stickies in this forum.

I also recommend getting a trainer or behaviorist on board to help with this.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
hmm sounds like a jack to me.

Buy a tall gate and keep her away while you eat, easiest, fastest, most fail proof way to stop food mongers. Or crate.

I know some people dont agree with it, but have you tried kneeing her when she jumps on you, knocking her down?

If this dog does have terrier in it, you have to remember that they are stubern, and you can not let them win, not even once.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts