Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Releasing Engery:

984 views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  deege39 
#1 ·
Everyone knows the benefits of having a big fenced in backyard; Your dog can come and go, and run his little heart out...

But however, dogs can also acclimate themselves to an apartment life... Which, Donatello is an apartment dog... With the way the weather has been acting the past few weeks, we haven't been staying out very long as faithfully as we probably should be... We're both getting lazy.

However, today I took him to the park; It was a spur of the moment thing, because the weather isn't perfect, but was certainly do-able. We spent about thirty minutes or so there, and walked an entire mile...

Is walking an entire mile a good way to make sure he's releasing enough energy. (This dog loves it when I take him over to my father's for a good-run... He'll run laps, and laps, and laps, and laps... Just as fast as you please.) So I understand that's probably the best and fastest way to burn energy, but what about walking a mile?

#4 ·
Honestly this is only a question you can answer because we are not there to see how your pup is after a walk :D.... all dogs are different so what might be good for one is not going to be enough for another........take my dogs while a mile would be just fine for my pug and Boston......my ABPT would need much more to actually get out all her energy.

#5 ·
Hmm. I guess that must sound like a dumb question then, lol! : P

He's somewhat worn out, he was the first day; But we were out and about for a couple hours... Today, he's pretty relaxed... Maybe I should up the speed a little bit.

Thanks for replying and making me think of something that I should have thought of in the first place. lol! : P

#10 ·
hmmmm.....well you might have to work up to it......take a toy he likes and just tie a string to it and drag it around on the ground....once he is comfortable w/that you can then tie the string to a stick and still drag it around on the ground..till he is comfortable w/the stick...then move on step by step till he is chasing it!

here is what mine looks like...

(my hubby and my Boston demonstrating)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.