Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering about everyone's preferred release word. I've been trying to up my training and have had some awesome results. I found out my catahoula responds 1000x better to HERE as apposed to COME when I call her, but now I am looking for a release word. They have to sit and watch me before being able to eat, and I normally just point and say go or ok or alright, but I'm not consistent; and also for training to break a stay and such I need one word to say to release them thats not "OK." Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I use OOOOOKKKKAAAAY! but it's not in any sort of normal speaking tone. And I combine it usually (for stays) with a touch, they're not to move till I touch them. They get very worked up as I ever so slowly move my hand towards them to release...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol I like dismissed, I think I would feel very royal saying it, like dismissing my subjects. I'm not sure about ok, because I use it so much in my everyday speaking, like ok lets go for a bike ride!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use "Good Job" but I think I'm going to have to change it, since I've been catching myself using it for general praise. I'm interested to see what other people use.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
"Break" and "free" are popular release cues.

Body language can, and probably should become part of the release as well. ie: two palms forward (double stop sign) etc.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
ours is "fall out"

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Ours is usually "Go" or "ok" in a certain tone of voice, or if we're playing tug "git it" (yes the spelling is on purpose lol).

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I too, have a "git it'" cue, ... same spelling lol

Used mostly for Zen excercises, two-cookie heeling, ... and of course .. the universal toe-tap/"git it" when a morsel of food has been overcome by gravity. :)

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Marsh's high energy release (think release from a start line stay in agility) is "Bingo!"
Gatsby's high energy release is "Break."

Both dogs will low energy release on "Okay," "Go play/Go be a dog," or "Enough"

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use "Drop It" and I think it's pretty damn effective. He can be thrashing his toy and I use Drop It and he will stop right on his tracks.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I use " OK " ... " Let's Go " ... and ... " Drop " Many other words I use are actual call out words. If I say " Go " ... it means leave. If I say " Back " it means back up literally ... etc.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I think dogs are way smarter than we give them credit for and I for one am not afraid of using my training speech in other talking to people speech. My dogs all knows if I am training or working with them or just talking to someone. I have never once said stay to a person (as in, stay here a moment, I'll be right back) and had my dog stay too.

Thus, I use o-kay in a high pitched tone with the o higher pitched then the kay and both syllables really short. Its not in a way I would talk to someone in real life, but that is merely coincidental.

I like the dismissed though a lot, and the fall out, that's pretty fun sounding, I might have to try those with the other two dogs that don't have releases yet.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
We use "Okay! Go ahead!" but it usually comes out like "HOKAYgo'head!" it's the only release word we use aside from "Come" if they are doing stay.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I use Awsome! (when I think of it--lol) mostly it is ok or good girl, need to work on that myself.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I use "Drop It" and I think it's pretty damn effective. He can be thrashing his toy and I use Drop It and he will stop right on his tracks.
That sounds more like a cue than a release. You are telling him something you want him to do. To me a release means that he is released from whatever we were doing,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts