Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got home about 10 minutes ago, walked into the house, and let Strauss out of his kennel.

We went right outside, I said "Go potty!" and he proceeded to pee on a tree. As he went, and went...and went some more, I heard a drill, turned my head, and lo and behold in MY yard was the fence builder who was working on putting up the fence for the neighbor next door.

I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I wasn't afraid...I was actually pretty indifferent. I calmly told him "Dog's out." And he asked if it was ok to still be in the yard.

Strauss was still going potty and I nodded and said "At the most he'll sniff you and then leave you be. Oh look, here he comes." Right at that moment, Strauss finished his potty business, calmly trotted over to the "intruder", wagged his tail, offered less than a 2 second sniff, and turned around and went on his merry way.

An unsocialized GSD would not do this. He would either hightail it to the hills or chase them out of the yard. My Old Man was considerably more sharp than Strauss, and while I doubt his old body would have CAUGHT the worker, he would have gone after him hell bent for blood if I hadn't seen him first.

Strauss's reaction to the fencer was proper. I was not concerned with him being in the yard, and so my dog was not concerned with him being in the yard. If I had been nervous or startled, at the very least my dog would have reacted to the tension and most likely would have growled and/or barked.

Socialize, socialize, socialize. The dog can then defer to you for decisions instead of making them himself.

One of the many reasons I'm proud of my Shepherds ^_^

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Oh YEAH!

Atka would have done the same but added a few dog licks with slobber on the side. She does this to everyone because we all know ppl taste like chicken! :D

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chicken seems to permeate one's pores when a GSD is involved xD

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
see if strauss had been bolo, the fencer would have been knocked over by her scrabbling in the dirt and rolling on her back begging for belly rubs...which..oddly enough...IS proper Pit Bull temperment :p

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*ROFL!!!* Ohhhh so true...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Does the fencer need any post holes dug?

Mabel will be right over, assuming there's chicken involved, of course.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the fencer need any post holes dug?

Mabel will be right over, assuming there's chicken involved, of course.
No chicken, only cheesedogs (it is Wisconsin after all).

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
My dogs would have barked a couple of times or until I told them "I've got it" then lloyd would run over wiggling and Allie would go sniff and walk away.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
OK.. Now lets get to the REALLY important stuff..

Is the Fencer YOUNG? Chiseled? Got his shirt off? IF all that is going on Struass needs to test his herding and corraling and tending skills....

Of course, he is not allowed to puncture the fencer for this.

But we ARE talking Strauss so he will do it right. :D

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
OK.. Now lets get to the REALLY important stuff..

Is the Fencer YOUNG? Chiseled? Got his shirt off? IF all that is going on Struass needs to test his herding and corraling and tending skills....

Of course, he is not allowed to puncture the fencer for this.

But we ARE talking Strauss so he will do it right. :D
Oh Heaven's Elana you are as bad as me. ;)

Good boy Strauss.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Inga.. if it were not for the age difference I would say you and Xeph and I were Triplets Separated at Birth... ;)

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh good lord *ROFL*

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Inga.. if it were not for the age difference I would say you and Xeph and I were Triplets Separated at Birth... ;)
LOL

Oh good lord *ROFL
Right? LOL

Elana Xeph and I know each other. We train at the same kennel club and also knew each other for years through rescue and just plain dogdom. Your comment is especially funny for that reason. :D

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Wally would have ran most likely :(

Or at least looked nervous no matter my reaction or lack of.

Sometimes the 'act calm and indifferent' trick just doesn't work on him. He's already made his "decision".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts