Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my family is moving from the Midwest to Arizona soon, which means that I'll have to rehome my pet rabbit Zoey (she's in my profile pic). Of course, since she's my pet, I'm really going to miss her. How do you deal with rehoming a pet?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It's best not to, whenever avoidable. You will lose all control over what happens to her as soon as you hand her over. Why do you need to give her up? Rabbits are portable too ;).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For my parents, it's non-negotiable. They plan on making a sort of "vacation" out of it. We won't just be driving straight to Arizona, they plan on stopping to see the sights along the way. They feel bad about her not getting any exercise for around a week, and they don't want to have to bring her around for stops. We also can't just leave her in the car while we stop too. If we were moving only a couple of hours away, we would still keep her, but because it'll be around a week, my parents want her to have a new home. We've been trying to give her to friends that have had rabbits before, but so far, no avail. Have you ever had to give away a pet when moving, or have you just taken them with?

·
Registered
40 Posts
In truth, rehoming can be a issue that a responsible pet owner shouldn't have to do. I've moved many times with a guinea pig in my youth and never had a problem nor had to rehome it.

Some people might even cook rabbit dinner with it. Anything can be possible with strangers.

Moving causes a lot of animals to be driven to the animal shelter, which is a huge problem.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
In truth, rehoming can be a issue that a responsible pet owner shouldn't have to do. I've moved many times with a guinea pig in my youth and never had a problem nor had to rehome it.

Some people might even cook rabbit dinner with it. Anything can be possible with strangers.

Moving causes a lot of animals to be driven to the animal shelter, which is a huge problem.
Sounds like your parents and OP's parents are quite different. I have to imagine that OP has no control over the situation, so instead of insinuating that someone might eat her rabbit, why don't we just answer the question at hand, which is how to emotionally deal with the stress of rehoming.

OP - Do you know anyone who will take your rabbit? Or is there a reputable rescue near you who will be able to find her a good home? I think it would go a long way towards helping you keep peace of mind if she ends up with someone you can trust to take care of her.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like your parents and OP's parents are quite different. I have to imagine that OP has no control over the situation, so instead of insinuating that someone might eat her rabbit, why don't we just answer the question at hand, which is how to emotionally deal with the stress of rehoming.

OP - Do you know anyone who will take your rabbit? Or is there a reputable rescue near you who will be able to find her a good home? I think it would go a long way towards helping you keep peace of mind if she ends up with someone you can trust to take care of her.
I don't sugar coat anything. I just tell the truth according to the reality of the situation.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I don't sugar coat anything. I just tell the truth according to the reality of the situation.
From what I've seen on this thread and others, your personal truth and reality are two separate things.

The reality of this situation is that OP isn't irresponsible, she has no choice (I'm assuming she's a minor and has to move with her parents) and she can find a reputable rescue who will take care of her rabbit.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Can you reason with your parents? I don't see why you couldn't get a harness for your rabbit (and/or one of those mesh pet carrier bags) and take her into longer stops with you. She'd be fine in her cage in the car the rest of the time.

If you absolutely have to rehome, find a good rescue. Most places have a small animal rescue somewhere nearby.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Yes, if your parents make you get rid of her, a rabbit rescue would be best. They have the ability to run background checks and all that. Unless you can find a friend you trust who will take her, that's her best bet at a decent home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a rescue nearby that will be used as a last resort, and I have a couple more friends to ask. My parents are coming home from Arizona late tonight, so I'll talk to them tomorrow about this. I'll keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Is it just a matter of having the rabbit on the ride down? If that's the case, can the rabbit stay with someone for the week of the ride and them have them ship her down to you once you get settled?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the issue is having the rabbit in the car, but also my dad would rather not deal with another moving arrangement.

I talked to my parents, and they still don't want to bring her. I will have to rehome her :(

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
You're a more compliant kid than I was. My parents would have regretted spending a week in a car with me if they'd forced me to rehome a beloved pet.

Glad you found a good rescue. Hope the rabbit ends up fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts