Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an Oscar that is about 5-6" long and I need to rehome him, as he outgrew his tank long ago. My question is, what is a reasonable rehoming fee? I'm not very experienced when it comes to rehoming fish, and dont want to just give him away as I'm afraid he wouldn't get a good home that way, so any advice is welcome. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
7,299 Posts
Look for a local fish forum in your area. Most cities have fish clubs and those fish clubs have their own forum. Offer the fish for free through them, or ask for a small fee, mayb $5 or $10 for him.

Not sure why you're posting a smiley face about him outgrowing his tank long ago. That's not something to smile about, that's actually rather irresponsible fish ownership in my opinion. You should never buy a fish you can't house as an adult. But I am glad that you are doing the responsible thing now and finding him a home that can look after him properly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would put a nominal price on him and ask for proof of his permanant home, aftrall you dont want him going to another small tank :)

Not sure why you're posting a smiley face about him outgrowing his tank long ago. That's not something to smile about, that's actually rather irresponsible fish ownership in my opinion. You should never buy a fish you can't house as an adult. But I am glad that you are doing the responsible thing now and finding him a home that can look after him properly.
Thats not necessarily irresponsible. I often buy fish i am not wanting to permanantly house. I but them small grow them to a decent size and resell or trade them in. It makes me money to keep all my tanks. Nothing worng with it at all. Its when you buy the fish and fully intend to keep it in too smaller a tank that is irresponsible

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would put a nominal price on him and ask for proof of his permanant home, aftrall you dont want him going to another small tank :)

Thats not necessarily irresponsible. I often buy fish i am not wanting to permanantly house. I but them small grow them to a decent size and resell or trade them in. It makes me money to keep all my tanks. Nothing worng with it at all. Its when you buy the fish and fully intend to keep it in too smaller a tank that is irresponsible
Thanks Alasse, no I don't want him to go into a small tank permanently. And just so y'all know, I had no intention of keeping mr. oscar in a too small tank. Actually, my dad brought him home without telling me as a "garbage disposal" for all our extra guppies (we had like a million of them. :p) For a long time, he stayed in our 65 gal tank, happily coexisting with everyone else (exept the teeny guppies. :wink:). Then he grew big enough to eat the other fish, so we moved him into a separate tank. Now, he's outgrown that one. So I will be rehoming him. Ya know, Kuma'sMom, it might be a good idea to get the full story from someone before passing judgment on them. :)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Ya know, Kuma'sMom, it might be a good idea to get the full story from someone before passing judgment on them.
Always good advice. But really, it seemed a bit odd to me as well that you put a happy face after the news that it had outgrown the tank. A happy face usually signifies happiness, you know? Put it in a different context: "I need to rehome my cat as I am allergic to him. :)"

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Always good advice. But really, it seemed a bit odd to me as well that you put a happy face after the news that it had outgrown the tank. A happy face usually signifies happiness, you know? Put it in a different context: "I need to rehome my cat as I am allergic to him. :)"
You know, to be really honest, I have no idea why I put it there....I was trying to convey that rehoming him was a happy thing for him, which means I should have put it after the next sentence. I'm sorry if it confused y'all...but honestly, why does it matter to you? I asked for advice on rehoming my fish...that was all! And when it comes to your example, I really don't care wether or not someone puts a smiley face after a sentence, unless it's something like "today I beat my cat to death. :)" THEN I would have a problem with it. I guess I don't pay much attention to emoticons...maybe I should start!!

·
Super Moderator
7,299 Posts

That's not the part I was referring to. It was the part where she said the Oscar had been living in a tank that was much too small for quite some time, followed by the smiley face. THAT is irresponsible. The OP should have regimes him as soon as she realized he had outgrown the tank, not left him in there until now.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
That's not the part I was referring to. It was the part where she said the Oscar had been living in a tank that was much too small for quite some time, followed by the smiley face. THAT is irresponsible. The OP should have regimes him as soon as she realized he had outgrown the tank, not left him in there until now.
I agree and was also struck by the smiley initially. Maybe I'm in the wrong here but I do personally think it's wrong to buy any animal that you won't be able to house properly into adulthood. Glad you're finding a better home for him though.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I'm not sure where you are but around here your lucky if you can give an oscar away. We have people dump them all the time at the petstore because they go to big. Usually they have hole in the head from being fed only goldfish and sitting in poor water:(

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure where you are but around here your lucky if you can give an oscar away. We have people dump them all the time at the petstore because they go to big. Usually they have hole in the head from being fed only goldfish and sitting in poor water:(
Actually I had quite a few inquiries about him and he went to his new home a couple of weeks ago. Wow, only goldfish? Poor things...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts