Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel horrible saying this, but I have to get it off my chest and can't admit this to anyone I know because I was so adamant this was going work. I'm not giving up yet, but at this moment if I could do it all over again I would only have one dog.

I love fergus and he's a great dog but the changes I've seen in Toby since we've gotten him is what's killing me. He's just not the same dog and I desperately hope that changes. If he can't go back to being himself at some point I'm not sure what I'm going to do. He's my best friend and to see that he obviously isn't as happy now as he used to be is KILLING ME.

He just doesn't seem like he can relax and/or enjoy himself anymore with Fergus around. Fergus is still a puppy and we've only had him for a week now so I'm still hoping this will work. I just can't help but to think I made a mistake - Toby was a big reason I thought we needed a second dog.

I just needed to say this, I'm sure he'll come around (I hope).

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Give it some time....puppies are like irritating younger sibs......make sure you put the pup "away" or let someone else watch him so you and Toby can spend some one on one time....things will settle down once you all get into a routine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sometimes it takes animals 6 weeks or more to adjust to a new animal or a new home .So I would just sit back and take a deep breath.Also I agree with the above suggestion enjoy some one on one when the puppy is in his crate for quite time.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Sorry to hear you are in such a situation. Give it some time. Xena was an obnoxious puppy, too. She was constantly in her brothers' faces. The boys just couldn't seem to get some quiet time eversince she came home. It took them a while before they got used to having her around. Now they are her "big brothers" and her their "little sister".

I hope it works for you. It takes patience and time. I hope you have both. I hope Toby adjust to this new situation soon. Good luck!!! :)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
We've always had 2 or 3 dogs in our house for over 40 years. I can't really say that any of them had an easy time at first with the 'new kid' as dogs don't accept change easily.
Out of 14 dogs, only one never fully adjusted (he was the 'senior' resident) but, that dog also had several health problems which made him 'disagreeable' anyway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Give it time...one week is not very long. We adopted Casey at 8 weeks of age (Roy is 11 years old)...and it took awhile (about a month or so) before Roy got used to Casey, and actually started playing with Casey- he had more energy, and seemed young again! It takes time...I used to wonder if bringing a 2nd dog into the house was a good decision- but most days I'm glad I did! They co-exist fine now. We try to make sure Roy gets some 1:1 time with us.:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Toby, I went through the exact same thing when we got Hailey. She was so excitable and had so much energy (I'm sure a lot of it was nervous energy, and happiness at not being at the shelter anymore) and she got Molly so riled up! Neither of them would listen to a thing I said or did for the first 3 days and I was seriously reconsidering. But now... they're better. Molly's back to her sweet, calm self, and Hailey is learning to behave. It takes time. How long have you had your second pup?

·
Registered
750 Posts
My dogs have been togheter for 7 months and they still have some rought times, but my older dog never changed when my pup arrived... must vary from dog to dog i guess.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
It's only been a week, so be patient while Toby adjusts.

When I bring in a new dog, be it a puppy or an adult I'm fostering, I don't give him/her freedom of the house, and make sure to keep the new dog contained to one area of the house, using baby gates or an ex-pen, feed separately, go out to potty separately, gradually integrating the new dog into the daily routine of the other dog(s).

Make sure to give Toby one-on-one time with you (puppy in crate) in the house, and away from the house. When the puppy is around, have yummy treats, give belly rubs or whatever turns Toby's crank, so that he associates good things happening with the puppy around!

Then, take a deep breath, relax, and have a glass of wine! (Or a cold beer!)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
It never made sense to me to get a puppy as a companion to an adult dog. You don't know what the puppy's personality will be when it matures and...well, dogs can find puppies REALLY REALLY annoying! If the human wants a puppy, get a puppy by all means...just don't say it's "for the dog"...because another adult dog is typically the best choice in that scenario.

Now that you have the puppy, I think you need to make the best out of the situation (see post above).

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Sounds like a case of the puppy blues... I wouldn't worry about it yet. Poodleholic gave some great advice. One-on-one time with each dog is essential. I hope things work out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Take a deep breath and relax. Remember dogs can pick up on our tension and can be tense themselves. I know when I added my 3rd dog I thought for the first month "What have I done?" Now a year later, I wouldn't have it any other way. I won't say that my 2 males love each other, but they live together great and my female loves both of them and they adore her.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Re: Regretting my Second Dog

I know what you're going through. I added dog number two to my family two weeks ago. He, too, is a puppy, and Cupid's definitely had some adjusting to do. There have been a couple of times when I've wondered what on Earth I was thinking. But there are joyful times too.

Like the others have said, give it time, and make sure each dog gets plenty of private time. I like the suggestion of pottying separately. I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good idea for me, as the pup tends to follow Cupid around outside. :)

Hang in there!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I hope it works out for you. I agree with those who say to give it time, but ime some times they never are quite the same dog. when I got Rosco it absolutely devastated my older dog (Harlie), you'da thought her life was over and she became excessively grumpy and what we call "emo". Hoped she'd get over it ,with time she's eased up a bit but she seems to be needier than she used to be, constantly looking for reassurance as to what her place is. Rosco is an overwhelming presence in the house and Harlie is a quiet backburner simmer, which she sort of was before we got Rosco and one of the big reasons I wanted another dog as I was looking for something a bit more. She went through a rollercoaster of emotions afterwards, almost like she was screaming out "I can be more, I can be more!" After reassurance and time she seemed to be more content with just being herself- although she's still a major grumpola towards Rosco, and needier towards us.

One of my favorite catchphrases anymore is "Look, two dogs, two hands!" as I pet them both, lol.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I can't remember any of our additions going completely smoothly. Maybe adding Trey way back... Usually it takes some adjustment time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't worry, things will calm down. :)

You've only had your new addition for a week, they haven't even had time to really get to figure one another out yet.

I've only had dogs just "click" once. Not that I add dogs all the time, but I do foster dogs 1-2 times a year... so it's kinda often.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!! :D

Just like everyone has said, relax, it takes time for everyone to adjust. Soon they'll be playing like they've been together forever and you'll wonder why you even worried.

:D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Give it some time, as everyone else has stated. But also, remember there is no shame in just taking out one dog for some one-on-one fun. It would give your one dog a reprieve and some extra attention from you. :)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Give it some time, as everyone else has stated. But also, remember there is no shame in just taking out one dog for some one-on-one fun. It would give your one dog a reprieve and some extra attention from you. :)

Actually, one on one time is very important when you have multiple dogs.

;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts