Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is CKC (Continental not Canadian) registered and I was online last night researching their rules for applications. Ok I guess I should say he has the paperwork for CKC but I haven't filled it out yet LOL. Anyways while looking online last night to see if they had any name rules or restrictions I came across quite a few sites/people that think CKC is bottom of the barrel as far as dog registries go. Is that true? This is the first puppy I have gotten that is a purebred and in my naivety I ASSumed all registries were about the same.
Also AKC had something on their site that said they could research a dog's pedigree to see if it came from AKC stock and if so, even if it wasn't a AKC registered dog, he could be registered with them. I just needed to send in a copy of his pedigree. I sent a message to AKC asking where/how I would go about getting a copy of his pedigree but I haven't received a reply yet... does anyone on here know?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The CKC (Continental Kennel Club) is definitely bottom of the barrel. It's basically a bogus registry used by bybs and puppy mills and, from what I hear, will register anything if you send the money.

If your dog is purebred (or appears purebred) and is spayed or neutered you can submit photos to the AKC and get an ILP number from the AKC. This will allow the dog to participate in performance events such as obedience, rally and agility.

But, if you do not plan to participate in anything, there's no need to register the dog at all unless you really want to. And I would definitely not do so with that particular CKC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The CKC (Continental Kennel Club) is definitely bottom of the barrel. It's basically a bogus registry used by bybs and puppy mills and, from what I hear, will register anything if you send the money.

If your dog is purebred (or appears purebred) and is spayed or neutered you can submit photos to the AKC and get an ILP number from the AKC. This will allow the dog to participate in performance events such as obedience, rally and agility.

But, if you do not plan to participate in anything, there's no need to register the dog at all unless you really want to. And I would definitely not do so with that particular CKC.
I wasn't planning on participating in any shows. I wouldn't even begin to know how to train a dog for that, I am having a hard enough time housebreaking him LOL. I had thought about possibly breeding him one day in the far off future though.
The application for CKC says he is a purebred. The breeder SWORE he was... but I guess people will say anything in order to make some money.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I wasn't planning on participating in any shows. I wouldn't even begin to know how to train a dog for that, I am having a hard enough time housebreaking him LOL. I had thought about possibly breeding him one day in the far off future though.
The application for CKC says he is a purebred. The breeder SWORE he was... but I guess people will say anything in order to make some money.

Please just get him neutered. He's definitely NOT breeding quality and he'll make a better pet neutered. No one except bybs such as you purchased from would use him for stud. No responsible breeder would ever use him because he would not be proven in the show ring or as a working dog. Plus he would not be registered by any legitimate registry. Purebred is not synonymous with quality, neither is registration, even with a legitimate registry.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
The CKC basically will take your money (donation) and send you a "thank you card" (registration number)

A CKC registrations means nothing as far as your dog's pedigree, health, or quality. they will happily take your money of course. but you would be better off just creating your own "registry" and tell people he has a number. unless you really want to waste your money.

ONLY breed a dog if you KNOW he or she is

1. HEALTHY! that means getting x-rays and blood tests (you don;t want to end up with puppies that die young, and you don't want your dog to die as a result of being bred.)

2. Can do what it's breed was originally intended to do

3. Have people ready and willing to take puppies and ONLY people that you KNOW would NEVER go to a shelter to adopt, and people you KNOW are willing to train the dog so it never becomes aggressive.

There are other things to do also but these I feel are the main thing

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
The only respectable North American all-breed registries are the UKC, AKC, and CKC (Canadian).

Certain individual or rare breeds have their own registries just for their breed (Border Collies, Jack Russels, Silken Windhounds, Cotons, & Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are some examples), but those also have strict standards.

Once the AKC started requiring dna proof of parentage from kennels who registered many litters from the same parents, they lost many Puppy Mill customers. Most of those customers, of course, would be the shady folks. Lots of BYBs get their dogs from Mills, so of course the 'paper trail' leads back to them.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Don't waste your money. Spay/neuter your pet and enjoy them. And stay far, far away from anyone selling CKC (Continental) registerable puppies. It's not reputable...in fact, it's the exact opposite. I'd rather have an unregistered dog than tell anyone my dog was CKC registered.

Please, please, PLEASE don't breed your dog.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
You might as well pay to have a star named for the pup. It's equally meaningless for any practical purpose, but it's a nicer gesture than a CKC reggy.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Also AKC had something on their site that said they could research a dog's pedigree to see if it came from AKC stock and if so, even if it wasn't a AKC registered dog, he could be registered with them. I just needed to send in a copy of his pedigree. I sent a message to AKC asking where/how I would go about getting a copy of his pedigree but I haven't received a reply yet... does anyone on here know?
I don't want to discourage you, but it isn't likely that you will be able to get a Full AKC registration and that is the only one that matters for breeding.

lilmamaj81 said:
I wasn't planning on participating in any shows. I wouldn't even begin to know how to train a dog for that, I am having a hard enough time housebreaking him LOL.
Why not keep it in mind as a goal? There are plenty of dog events, even AKC and UKC events, that are not conformation and don't require a Full registration. And there are lots and lots of other performance events sponsored by many different organizations.

lilmamaj81 said:
I had thought about possibly breeding him one day in the far off future though
Please don't :(

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I live in Canada. A friend bought a beautiful little Chihuahua that was CKC registered. When she got the papers, it was the Continental Kennel Club. In Canada unless they are registered with the Canadian Kennel Club, you are not allowed to sell them as purebred. She just bought the dog for a pet so won't bother to register it but especially in Canada, you had better check your registration if you truly want a REGISTERED dog. The Chi is a lovely little dog and obviously is straight Chi. He weighs about 4 lbs. and is a year old now, so is really small. That is the first time I had ever heard of this registry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts