Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone :wave:

I'll be getting a new puppy in a couple of weeks and I was wondering, apart from shows/competitions, what is the purpose for registering a purebred puppy with AKC? I'm buying him as pet quality, but I was wondering if there were any benefits to registering a new pup? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Hello Everyone :wave:

I'll be getting a new puppy in a couple of weeks and I was wondering, apart from shows/competitions, what is the purpose for registering a purebred puppy with AKC? I'm buying him as pet quality, but I was wondering if there were any benefits to registering a new pup? Thanks!
the only other reason other than shows and trails is to keep track of the dog's pedigree.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Also keep in mind that as far as pedigree, I *think* AKC is the only american registry to DNA test, the other registries are bogus.

Remember that health testing for parents is VERY important, and any breeder should be happy to provide you with links to the offa.com website where their dogs are listed.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Also keep in mind that as far as pedigree, I *think* AKC is the only american registry to DNA test, the other registries are bogus.

Remember that health testing for parents is VERY important, and any breeder should be happy to provide you with links to the offa.com website where their dogs are listed.
Well I know this isn't helpful for anyone but an Aussie owner lol, but the ASCA requires DNA parentage testing of ALL breeding dogs. I believe AKC only requires it if a stud has had 3 litters in a year or 10 litters total? My numbers on that could very well be off tho.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Well I know this isn't helpful for anyone but an Aussie owner lol, but the ASCA requires DNA parentage testing of ALL breeding dogs. I believe AKC only requires it if a stud has had 3 litters in a year or 10 litters total? My numbers on that could very well be off tho.
Yeah. My point was less of "AKC will always be 100% reputable in regards to pedigree" and more "AKC is the most likely to be reputable in terms of pedigree." Not to say that a mutt couldn't slip by AKC, but it is much more likely to happen with all of the other crap registries that don't require any DNA.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The AKC does NOT require DNA testing for registration and it is NOT the only reputable / reliable registry.

DNA is an OPTIONAL service offered by the AKC. And UKC and ADBA also offers and accepts DNA profiling as well. Its not unique to the AKC.

The AKC only requires DNA in regard to frequently used sires. Not general registration or all litters.

Just as much paper hanging, litter fattening, fraud, ect goes on with AKC registrations as it does with any other registry. And AKC registration certainly does not mean quality. Bad breeders and mills do register AKC, and AKC has had its fair share of scandals and OMFG situations regarding KNOWN falsified pedigrees they've refused to pull or correct (or corrected by falsifying.) So pedigrees are only as reliable and honest as the people that submit them. Choose your breeders carefully, as the AKC will not vet them for you.

There are hack registries (like the CKC: continental kennel club). But the AKC is not the lone legit all breed registry (which is good, since they only acknowledge a small number of existing breeds). The UKC and ADBA are also legit, each has their pros and cons.

There are no "perks" to registration unless you plan to show or compete in companion sports. Or you're the breeder of the litter, in which case seeing that all pups produced are registered can contribute toward BOM as well as contributes to keeping complete record of pedigrees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts