Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother bought a dog from someone and I was wondering does he need to register it? If so how does he go about doing so?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
do you mean getting a license? or actually registering it with a kennel club?

The only reason to register this dog with a kennel club is to compete in a sport, does your brother plan to compete with this dog?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
also what country do you live in? there are different registries for different countries.

I got two of my dogs registered with the AKC through the

Indefinite Listing Privilege program.

That means that either they are from unknown parentage, or their parents weren't registered (or both)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
ok in the case of a License, Yes the dog has to be licensed by law, or your brother could risk losing the dog to Animal control.

Does your town have a "Town hall"? that's where we go to license our dogs.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
My own county as a Pet Licensing form you can fill out online. Checking out the website for your city would help point you where you need to go.

·
Banned
335 Posts
It depends on where you live, to be honest. My municipality has no licensing requirements; we're just required to get rabies shots once every three years. The veterinarian's office would have an idea of where you would have to get a license from, if it is required.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
You can also ask your vet. They usually know the local requirements.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Elsa recently got her rabies shot. A month or so later I received a letter from Animal Care Services reminding me to renew her license. Vets here are required by law to document rabies vaccinations for the City. I'm sure not every City is like that, so I would inquire with your local Animal Control or vet as suggested.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Elsa recently got her rabies shot. A month or so later I received a letter from Animal Care Services reminding me to renew her license. Vets here are required by law to document rabies vaccinations for the City. I'm sure not every City is like that, so I would inquire with your local Animal Control or vet as suggested.
This is how my city works also.

Or if you just brought the dog and you have proof that they have their rabies shot already, their tag has to be in your name and you can go down to the local Animal Control and get the tag(and shots if you need them) there

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
In my town, every dog owner is required to get a new dog license every January, or within 30 days of moving into town. They put reminders on the January city bills. I forgot one year and they sent me a reminder letter. It's only $3 ($5 for unspayed females), so I don't know exactly what the point is. Maybe just so they can keep track of how many dogs there are in town. Or, I guess, to verify all town dogs are UTD on rabies shots.

In my parents' town, we don't even know if dog licenses are required. Seriously, their vet has never said anything, and there are no reminders or rules posted anywhere. My grandpa's dogs had city tags, but my parents had Willow for 13 years and never got one, and still haven't gotten one for Shug. No problems yet. Maybe it's optional :confused: .

In Sioux Falls (nearest "big" city), I've heard the vets advise people to have their dogs spayed/neutered before applying for the license. They aren't required to have licenses until they're 6 months old, and evidently the licenses cost a LOT more for unaltered pets, so the vets tell them to have their pet altered before 6 months, and then get the license.

Really the dog licensing laws vary wildly depending where you live. City Hall, Animal Control, or your vet should be able to tell you what the rules are in your area. Hopefully :p .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts