Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!!
I have a 4 year old Aussie named Oliver but am having a hard time coming up with a name that really represents him. He is sassy, shy, smart, has a big booty, loves to run, works for treats only lol. He’s a red Merle.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Are you planning on getting him AKC registered? Or getting a Purebred Alternative Listing?
if it's the former, does his breeder have any requirements, like using their kennel name or did they have a litter theme? As an FYI, if you are registering him on his AKC puppy papers, then there is a rather significant fee for doing it more than a year after they were issued.

Reactions: Toedtoes

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
It may or may not fit in with his sassy shy smart big booty characterizations .... but perhaps something like "GreenAcres Big City Lawyer"..

Point being, I try to have some kind of creative 'tie-in' between the registered name and call name.

YMMV.

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,248 Posts
With the purebreds in our family it was done the opposite of how you're going about it. The registered name was a somewhat generic name based on the breeder requirement (oftentimes, the puppy came with the registered name already given by the breeder). The dog's common name was the one that mattered and that we chose to fit his/her personality.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I always match the call name to the registered name.

For most AKC breeds the kennel name precedes the dog's name. In the German System the dog's name precedes the kennel name. Also, in the German system the entire litter is an alphabetical dog name.. so you have the "A" litter for the first litter by that breeder followed by that breeder's kennel name.

Say you decide on "Sass" under the typical AKC system the whole name would be something like Green Acres Sass

Under the German system you could not use Sass unless it was the "S" litter. All the puppies in that litter must have their names start with S.

For a an energetic Aussie "Sass" might well be a good name.

·
Banned
141 Posts
I kind of like Oliver Sass. Perhaps because it has the same number of syllables as the more familiar Oliver Twist, so is memorable.

If you're not sure of the kennel, you could invent something based on your town or name, resulting in things like Mark's Oliver Sass, Smith's Oliver Sass, Prairies' Oliver Sass, New York's Oliver Sass, etc.

Ruby is in Ruby's registered name. I like them being tied together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys!!
I have a 4 year old Aussie named Oliver but am having a hard time coming up with a name that really represents him. He is sassy, shy, smart, has a big booty, loves to run, works for treats only lol. He’s a red Merle.
I am trying to come up with a registered name for UKI Agility international.
He never had an actual name when the breeder had him. He was just a color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts