Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new puppy 2 days ago, she is about 2 months old. I take her out to potty. She hates her collar and constantly tries to get it off. She refuses to walk just outside on the leash. How do I get her started? I try calling her and she pulls back. She follows only when she thinks she is going back inside. I figured I would tug her along gently for a little bit each day, maybe she'll get used to it. I know how important it is to get her out and walking.
Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
leave her collar on in the house so she gets used to it. Attach the leash to her collar in the house and let her drag it around to get used to it. take treats out with you and coax her to walk on the leash...use a high happy voice when you call her.Run away from her, she will probably chase you. Dont drag her or she will be afraid of the leash. you could also try a harness.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I will try that. I do leave the collar on in the house, she keeps scratching trying to remove it, then she forgets about it. I don't drag her, I call her, and tug on the leash, but you have a point, I'll end up making it worse. At least she doesn't dart off, she just refuses to go further than my walk way, which is about 5 ft. I take her to potty right outside on the grassy area nest to the walk way, seems in her mind, there is no reason to go any further.
I haven't had a puppy before, all my dogs were grown. I used to have the opposite problem, they would dart off at any chance they had, and there I was chasing them down the street, and sometimes into traffic.:eek: I promised myself this time I would start with a young puppy with a chance to train her in time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeah tugging will make it worse...make it fun to be on the leash! sit down in the grass with her and play with her! she will get it i promise!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts