Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm new here. I have five dogs, and here are a little bit about them.

Axle - German Shepherd, Border Collie, Rottweiler. 2 years, 8 mo. Male. Neutered. My first dog. He is also my E.S.A. (Emotional Support Animal). Has taken PetsMart puppy obedience, PetsMart beginners obedience, PetsMart intermediate obedience, PetsMart advanced obedience, PetsMart trick dog class, Academy Of Canine Behavior's basic behavior and obedience, Academy Of Canine Behavior's beyond basics, Academy Of Canine Behavior's pre-agility, and Academy Of Canine Behavior's beginning agility.He is very obedient but has a cheeky side. He has a very hard time staying when I tell him to. He wants to either lay down when I put him into a sit, or walk away and lay down elsewhere. He has a hard time not pulling on the leash, as well. He dosen't mind walking with me, but he pulls sometimes as well.

Roxie - Doberman, Kelpie, lab mix. 4 years, 2 mo. Female. Spayed. My roomate left, and left her with me. Roxie and I never really got along until after the roommate left her here. Roxie has been threw Acadamy Of Canine Behavior's basic behavior and obedience, and Acadamy Of Canine Behavior's beyond basics. These were never refined in Roxie, and she is overbearing, over excited and crazy. She pulls, she barks, she chews, she runs circles, she dose everything. The very idea of going outside makes her crazy. I'm need to know I should go about training her again, and more, how should I keep her calm? Roxie and I are just starting our new, posative relationship.

Parker - Pomeranian. 2 years, 4 months. Male. Neutered. Parker was eight months old when I got him, and he'd never been in a house, a vet or anything else. Parker is extremely sensitive, and a quiet dog. He is obedient, but excited and jumps up uninvited a lot. He's so willing to please that he's just to excited. Corrections have to be given extremely gently, even depending your tone makes him quiver and he shuts down. Parker has been threw Acadamy Of Canine Behavior's basic behavior and obedience, and Acadamy Of Canine Behavior's beyond basics. His problems are simple ; he jumps, a lot, he pulls a little.

Emma - Lab, Pit bull/ Pointer. 1 year, 9 mo. Female. Spayed. Emma has brain damage, she's been hit in the head more times then I can count. Her X-rays show her head as looking like a waterfall of cracks threw her skull. Nevertheless, Emma is sweet and loving. She'd been threw Academy Of Canine Behavior's basic behavior and obedience, and Academy Of Canine Behavior's beyond basics. She is the best dog in the entire world to walk. She walks behind you, and has never pulled. She is EXTREMELY excitable. When she comes into the house, she frantically cries, and will literally fly into someone's lap. She has a hard time calming down. She also hates men- how can I help this? The men she knows are fine, but she is scared of ones she dosen't.

Wick - Mini Australian Shepard. 9 weeks. Male. In tact. Wick has no problems as of yet. He doesn't spend to much time with the pack, as he is FAR smaller then them. He socializes with them in the house.

So these are the things I'd like to fix. I'd like my dogs to be more calm, and I'd like them NOT to greet visitors. My familly will be visiting soon, and I want the whole pack to be on best behavior. The dogs scratch at the back glass door (They spend a lot of time in the back yard. How can I make this more interesting to them?) and that needs to stop. I want my dogs to walk BEHIND me on walks. They wait when I tell them to, I always go out of the door before they do. In any case, I would like to walk my dogs by myself, without pulling or tugging. I want the barking to go down. I want other people to love my dogs as much as I love them. I'm just not sure how to refine their behavior to make them a better pack.

Oh, and some helpful information : Everyone is on science diet active formula, everyone crate trains and waits to eat. The adults spend a lot of time in the back yard, they go for runs at the dog park twice a week, and a walk once a week all together (except for Wick, who dosen't know how to walk on a leash yet. We're working on it!)and I'm trying to make that daily, but with several pullers it gets complicated.

Any ideas? Sorry, lots of reading!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I had a big post written and lost it. Grr!

Anyway, welcome and let's see pictures!

My post basically said that your dogs need more exercise. They need to get tired every day. Two times a week to the dog park is not enough for the breeds you have. One walk a week isn't enough either. I'd be taking them to the dog park and giving a walk every day. I bet you'd see a big difference.

Secondly, I'd change their food to one with more meat. The first ingredient in your food is corn. Corn is a carb. Carbs are energy food (not to mention filler in dogfood) and your dogs will do what they need to do to burn off that energy. Find a food where meat is the first ingredient and maybe the third and fourth, too.

Finally, teach them each to walk nicely on the leash before trying to get them to walk together. Then add one at a time until they're all doing it together.

My Dog is Afraid of Men

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures are now in my Sig. :)

I suspect that would help, a lot. I am trying to get more time in to walk and run them. With the new pup, my schedule is : sleep when you can. So i'm trying to get my schedule worked out. We'll try to get to it.

What food would you suggest?

I'll try that, thanks.

I've been working with Emma for eight months with that sort of technique. She dosen't seem to respond.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
There are a lot of good foods on the market. Here's a Dog Food Analysis site. I would go for any food that has 4 stars or better. You can look at their ingredients there. It all depends on what works for you.

Walking - Have you tried a no-pull harness? That's what I used for my puller. The clip on the front makes it a lot harder to pull.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to find somthing better.

I've tried that on them, none of them want to walk in it, they get really anxious, and stop and act like we're going to the vet or somthing.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
To make the yard more interesting, get them some things to climb on/hide under (like kids plastic outdoor jungle gym type thing). Give them a sand box to dig in and hide toys in. Half bury large tires for them to go through/jump over. Rotate toys so they have different toys every day or two. Move things around in the yard. Feed them out of toys.

Sounds like your dogs all need a lot more exercise. Have you though of biking with your bigger dogs? I have one of these: http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/ (walky dog bike attachment) and it works awesome. You can take your bigger dogs each for a short run everyday and it will help take the edge off.

For foods, a few my dogs have done well on are Innova, Innova Evo, California Natural's, Chicken Soup for The Pet Lover's Soul dog food, Taste of the wild.

Work on Nothing In Life Is free and Rev Up/Cool Down to help with some of the over excitablity (stickies at the top of the forum). You also need to never reward the overexcited state. If the dog starts getting overexcited, cross your arms and stare at the ceiling until they calm down. When the dog calms down (it may take a while the first few times) reanimate yourself and start moving towards the door again, if they get excited, do the same, over and over again. You will need to work one dog at a time until they can all walk in and out of the door calmly. Then do pairs, then trios and then all 4. If you try doing them all together or even in pairs before they each know what you want individually it won't work because they will feed off each other.

For the leash pulling you can train them to walk better, there is a sticky at the top of the forum that has good info. Or you can manage it by using a no pull harness or head halter. Walk them only one at a time until each dog is walking how you want, then do them in 2's until each pair (every dog needs to be paired with every other dog) is walking how you want. Then do 3's and then try all 4.

A good walk or bike ride every day with a trip to the dog park 2-3 times a week will probably help a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I'll be investing in some pools and tires and things. :) I've found a butcher to give me some bones (Useually a full garbage bag of bones!!) so there will be more bones then ANY of them can chew to bits. I can't feed them out of toys when they are out in the yard, because they'll typically fight over the treat toys.

We used to do bikejorring, but after my bikes got locked in the shed, and my keys have dissappeared? Haha, we haven't been able to do anything bike related. But we'll try to do that again. As soooon as I can get a bike out of the shed, lol.

Working on training them not to pull. So far, so good. :) Though, walking with so many dog leashes is kinda hard,haha!

As for right now, we do the dog park twice a day, and we're trying to get the walks in. just taking a while.
Food wise, Tate Of The Wild they wouldn't even eat, Innova, Evo, they didn't seem to do the job. California's natural, three of my dogs had a reaction to. We're currently trying Blue Buffalo. So far, so good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts