Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new puppy is 10 wks now and so far he is doing great. However, whenever I leave him alone (whether it be taking a shower or going out) he will whine and cry excessively. I'd assume this is expected for a puppy, and I'm trying to train him to be independant. I've seen this been mentioned before on this forum, but I was wondering if it was okay to give him a kong with peanut butter or cheese whiz on it right before we leave? This does distract him, and I thought it might be effective as he does not watch me leave and it could reduce the separation anxiety. Would this be the right thing to do?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It's a very good thing to do. It not only occupies him for a bit, it also adds a nice association with being left. He still may not like it, but it will help.

My friend's puppy used to cry when she was in the shower. It took a month or so, but he stopped doing that. So there is hope. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Do you keep him in a create when your gone? I think sometimes when they are left alone when they are little it is scary and having them in a create makes their world seem a little smaller and less scary. I always give my dog a treat whenever I put her in her create, and if I am going to be gone for more than just a few minutes I give her a kong with treats in it or something to busy her for a while.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My puppy was HORRIBLE when I first got her. You would've thought someone was killing her at how badly she cried when we left. Now, after a month, she actually LOVES her crate, and goes to it when she's feeling frightened or sleepy. It is truly her "safe place."

I second the recommendation of a crate, if you are not already using it. We have Luna's crate in our bedroom. That way, at night she gets to be in it with us close to her. It allowed her to see the crate as a safe/happy place sooner.

Additional choices for kong stuffing is non-fat yogurt and/or 100% pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling). Stick the kong in the freezer and then give puppy the frozen kong... it will last longer and be less messy!

Make sure you don't make a big deal of leaving or coming home. Don't say goodbye, just put puppy in the crate with a kong and leave. Don't reassure him if he whines/cries. Just ignore it (I know, it's hard!!) When you return home, make sure you talk in calm, even tones. Don't make a big deal out of how much you missed your pup (even though you did!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well unfortunately I'm gone for up to 8 hours sometimes, so it's not really fair to leave him couped up for so long in his crate. But I will try it when I'm gone for shorter periods. I don't make a big deal about leaving, but it's hard when I come home because he gets so excited :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Try putting a T-shirt in her crate, one that you've already worn that has your body scent on it. Your scent will calm her down, hopefully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts