Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 4 yr old Aussie mix rescue, Bella, that we have had since she was 12 weeks old. We use her as a therapy dog for nursing homes. She is sweet, mellow and obedient. 3 months ago we adopted another rescue - a 3 yr old Lab/Husky mix, Abbey, who is excitable and extremely energetic. Bella is extremely jealous of ANY attention we give Abbey! From day one we have pet Bella first, given her a treat before giving Abbey one, greeting Bella before greeting Abbey etc.,. But any time we give Abbey any attention, Bella pushes her pout of the way, climbs on top of her, whatever it takes so that we give HER the attention. I'm not sure how to deal with this. Thankfully Abbey is very easygoing and usually just walks away but it's not right. I don't want her to resent
Abbey if we push her away while giving Abbey attention but I don't want her to think it's ok to be an attention hog either! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I'm in the reverse situation. My older dog is a doormat and the puppy tries to push him out of the way and get attention.

I just kind of push the puppy over out of the way until she stop butting in. Then I pet the older dog, then pet her. I don't allow the pushiness but I don't make a big fuss out of it either. She can get attention when she's sitting there politely and not jumping on my other dog's head to get petted first.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am dealing with a little of that here with a new Rescue we adopted. These are small dogs. The Chi mix we have had is used to being an only child. Like you, I am making sure she gets petted first, etc. I have trained her some so we are working on what is acceptable from both of them. When I come home, I greet them both equally. If they are jumping and being annoying, they get ignored until they settle down. Using treats, I am trying to train both of them what I exoect them to do. I am using the Sit command, which our first one knows and the second one is learning. Nobody gets anything until they follow the command then our first dog gets fed first. Is she gets pushy, she gets pushed away with the back of my hand and told to Sit again and Stay. She is not going to get a treat until she settles down and stays. When she does, she gets her treat and a lot of praise. Basically, you want to teach them what you want them to do. May take a while but be patient and persistent with both. How fun!! Lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have a 4 yr old Aussie mix rescue, Bella, that we have had since she was 12 weeks old. We use her as a therapy dog for nursing homes. She is sweet, mellow and obedient. 3 months ago we adopted another rescue - a 3 yr old Lab/Husky mix, Abbey, who is excitable and extremely energetic. Bella is extremely jealous of ANY attention we give Abbey! From day one we have pet Bella first, given her a treat before giving Abbey one, greeting Bella before greeting Abbey etc.,. But any time we give Abbey any attention, Bella pushes her pout of the way, climbs on top of her, whatever it takes so that we give HER the attention. I'm not sure how to deal with this. Thankfully Abbey is very easygoing and usually just walks away but it's not right. I don't want her to resent
Abbey if we push her away while giving Abbey attention but I don't want her to think it's ok to be an attention hog either! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
What happens if you give Abbey attention before Bella?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you thought about working with them one on one and also sometimes together? You can put puppy outside and work through the adult dog's tricks, then swap and put the adult dog outside and work on training with the puppy. Better yet, if you have a multi-person household, you guys can take turns someone inside working the dogs mentally and someone outside working the dog physically with fetch etc while the other is inside that way they both feel like they get one on one attention. When I got my second dog, I learned that one can walk politely, the other can't and the unruly one will ruin the good walk of the trained one haha. I practiced walking with them individually and also took walks with them together- it's not just good exercise, taking walks builds social bonds as well :) Would not try to work through tricks together if jealousy is an issue- food can cause dog drama haha

If the adult is climbing on top of the puppy, maybe she needs reminded that it is polite to sit for petting. If she climbs the puppy, and you tell her to quit, the one thing most on her mind is doing what you just told her not to do lolol so giving her an alternative, better behavior after the reprimand can give her a better behavior choice without sullying her association with the puppy :)

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts