Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the community and I wish I could have posted something more positive to contribute but I'm at my wits end about a strange red sore/rash that's developed on my dog's feet.

This is appearing on all 4 feet and seems to start at the bottom or in between his pads. It progressively creeps up the side of his foot. He does lick it probably because it's either sore or itchy although he's not obsessively licking it.

I took him to a vet who put him on antibiotics for 2 weeks to fight an infection but it simply won't go away.

Has anyone seen something like this before? What is my next step?

I took a few pictures of him below:

http://www.jmg.nu/image/2p3r303s0901

http://www.jmg.nu/image/1X03013E1i22

Thanks for any suggestion or help you all can provide!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback so far!

I feed him Go! which I've chosen because it's a highly rated (online, at least) grain free, all natural dog food. I live in a condo building so the lawn is cared by someone other than myself. I'm not sure if they're using fertilizer or not although I may be able to ask.

Just gotten off the phone with the vet who said that she'd like to try a skin test to see if he has any skin parasites. If that comes up negative, the next option is a steroid shot and ultimately an allergy test. A steroid shot makes me a little nervous though. Wouldn't it be best to just go right into an allergy test?

·
Registered
12 Posts
This looks like what happened to Angel before we switched the dogs over to TOTW and started supplementing raw except it started around her muzzle and spread down her neck. I would definitely suggest an allergy test.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks for your feedback so far!

I feed him Go! which I've chosen because it's a highly rated (online, at least) grain free, all natural dog food. I live in a condo building so the lawn is cared by someone other than myself. I'm not sure if they're using fertilizer or not although I may be able to ask.

Just gotten off the phone with the vet who said that she'd like to try a skin test to see if he has any skin parasites. If that comes up negative, the next option is a steroid shot and ultimately an allergy test. A steroid shot makes me a little nervous though. Wouldn't it be best to just go right into an allergy test?

If it started in the warmer months, when grass is fertilized, sprayed with pesticides etc...it very well could be that. It looks like a chemical burn and I can't imagine it feels good. I would gauze it and cone your dog. Let it have a few days of healing. Before applying the cause try a little watered down organic apple cider vinegar..if its fungi or bacter, it will help..otherwise it will seriously reduce itching. I even use it on my sunburns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It may or may not be allergy. Actually, the skin is just like and effector or sensor that take signal from blood.
The condition of the skin very much dependent on the condition of blood.
Just take a blood test of your dog. Ask you vet for that and try to purify it. Medication is available there.buy dog diet

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
Condo complexes often put pesticides and fertilizers on the lawns, I can't see your photos but that could easily cause severe irritation.

You could buy a pack of the disposable pet booties and have him wear those whenever he could outside for several days or a week and see if that starts to let his feet heal. This would also help if its an environmental allergy (to weeds and such)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts