Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I adopted a two year-old chihuahua/mini pinscher mix about a month ago. We were told that she was up-to-date on her shots and was spayed, but the person couldn't provide paperwork to support that. We loved her and decided that we'd take her to a vet and double-check to make sure she was okay.

During the first week, Autumn was very lively and playful. She ate from her bowl and bounded throughout our home. But at the beginning of the second week, we noticed she wasn't as lively and actually appeared lethargic. She wasn't drinking much water and would only eat if we hand-fed her. We also noticed that she was hot and may have had a fever. So my husband took her to the vet that day. They didn't run a full blood work up on her, but the vet gave her a penicillin shot and subcutaneous fluids, as well as a prescription for anti-nausea medicine. After a day or so of looking miserable, she perked up and seemed more lively.

Then two or three days after that, she seemed to go downhill again. So, to be safe, we took her back to the vet and asked him to do a blood work up to make sure everything was okay. The vet determined that he didn't think she was sick enough for that and gave her another penicillin shot, along with her vaccinations. She was also tested for heart worms, and that was negative. So we took her back home, and she appeared okay.

Well, this morning, I took her out for her morning walk and I noticed that her stool was a grayish color and had a tint of bright red around it. She also went four times in a row, which is unusual for her. I couldn't be sure if what I was seeing was blood or a tint from the dog food that she eats, as some of the hard kind has a reddish tint (she eats hard dog food in the morning, soft at night). She's still not as lively as she first was, and she seems to be urinating more often.

So I'm kind of worried and a little miffed that the vet didn't do a blood work up last time. I know Autumn hasn't been with us that long, but I can tell that something is making her more lethargic. And I don't want to seem paranoid (my husband thinks I am) or neurotic by continuously taking her to the vet, but I just want to be sure she's okay.

Have any of you experienced this before?

If you've made it through this book, thanks so much.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I suggest bringing in some red stool if she does it again and have the vet test her. Perhaps she has some kind of worms? Has she been wormed recently?

Sometimes certain foods just give dogs reddish stool. I know watermelon, carrots and pumpkin all give my dogs some slightly reddish orange stool.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts