Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started maybe a week or two ago when we noticed that one of our collies, Meg, had red marks on her tummy and a reddish-orange tint on her neck. We thought it was ringworm so we gave her a bath with a special shampoo and brought her to the vet. Our vet is a pretty knowledgeable guy but he wasn't sure what it was. He was puzzled because the fur was reddish-orange by the neck but the skin underneath the fur looked fine apart from the stomach. He wasn't sure what it was but thought that it's maybe some type of skin condition and told us to give her more Omega-6s and to bath her once a week with the special shampoo that we had used.

Now our other collie, Savannah, has the reddish-orange neck too, but her stomach looks fine!

What could this be? Is it possible they BOTH have this skin condition, or what? We thought that the orangey-red stains could be saliva stains because when they play, they like to bite each other's fur on the neck (they're herding dogs), but then that doesn't explain Meg's red tummy.

Any advice? What is this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
417 Posts
By any chance have you bought them new collars that are a reddish orange color??
When we first got our Collie my daughter bought him a green collar at a show...his nice white collar turned green!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww, the collie in your signature is cute. :)

Nope, no reddish-orange collars. Their collars are blue and always have been. =/ That's funny though! :p

·
Registered
296 Posts
oxidization from saliva will turn that rust color. are they licking excessively? If so it's time to look at diet.

i find it puzzling that your vet would say to a. up omega 6's (which when in too high an amount cause inflammation) and b. to bathe once a week (when cell turn over is 20 days) *scratches head*

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well my oldest dog use to get this all the time when she was younger. But since we've put her on a home made food diet we haven't seen it since. It could be food allergies or hot spots or a yeast infection of the skin. If it's a yeast infection you can go to Canadavet.com and order a medicated shampoo. You should Google the site though because I think that they changed their site name. Hope this helps some.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts