Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay long story in a nutshell, my 9 year old pomeranian ate a piece of guinea pig food. Its been 7th day, 3rd day of eating, and poop/ stool has been from red(day 1-2) >to > intense dark brown > and now she's pooping lighter normal brown,but in the end still has red jello like stool.Doctor said she probably got colonitist (from seeing the red feces) and pancreatist.

She's been prescribed amoxcilin (Antibiotics) and Sulcrate(Stomach lining protection). Since her poop is now normal,except still red on the last few drops. Am I putting her in risk of damaging her stomach if I feed her? What would be best to feed? Ive given her over cooked rice so far, but Im planning to give her congee now,to ease out the digestion.

Please give me some input

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
What are you adding to the rice to make congee?

I would add a little cooked chicken (no bones) to the rice and keep her on that for a day or so, adding more chicken each time you feed her. I would feed her small meals throughout the day instead of taxing her system with 2 big meals. Then start adding in a little of her kibble to the mixture, watching her feces to make sure her digestive system can take it. Then just transition over to kibble, adding a little more to the mixture during the next couple of days.

I would also add a couple teaspoons of organic plain yogurt a day to counteract the effects of the antibiotic for as long as she's taking that. Antibiotics are likely to give her loose stools.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
What about feeding congee made with some chicken first? If rice is okay then a taste of chicken should be fine. Then leave a little bit of the solids in the congee. And a little more. Also feed very tiny amounts often. 10 'meals' a day maybe.

Plain probiotic [not liver flavored dog supplement] might be easier on the stomach than yogurt but definitely add a TINY bit of something to repopulate the gut. Less is more when recovering from gastris distress. If you see ONLY improvement then a tiny bit more next time.

My old dog never had normal bowel movements the time she got sick from a McD hamburger until I added a bit of plain canned pumpkin. It wasn't red tinged at that point but plenty of mucous still covering the stool. I was amazed.

Colitis sounds horrible but it simply means the colon is irritated thus the 'interesting' bowel movements you are studying so very carefully these days. Pancreatitis is even more serious. If it is that then stay low fat for at least a month and move very very slowly to a regular diet. I mean a small kibble added a day after she seems all better. And that could well be too fast.

Glad she is on the mend. Guinea pig food? Sheesh.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts