Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may get in trouble for this question ....

Shep is a 15yo Lab/GSD mix. He had crud in his eyes every morning which we thought was allergies. Anti-histamine did not work, so my Vet ran the test for Dry Eye, which came back positive. The Vet prescribed tacrolimus (aq) which worked to get rid of the crud.

However, one of Shep's eyes is red (inflamed) and current antibiotics and steroids don't seem to be helping. I'll be finished with the meds in a week or two and will re-schedule with the Vet. The redness has been ongoing for about a year, restricted to only one eye.

Any suggestions for questions, next steps, and speculations about the cause? My Vet is trying to save me money, and we assume this problem isn't going to greatly affect Shep's quality of life. I believe that he had age-appropriate vision and hearing reduction, as well as selective hearing. :)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
It would be worth trying Vit A drops in the eye, very safe, very inexpensive. You can either try to find specific eye drops that contain Vit A, or just get a Vit A supplement in a liquid-gel, puncture the liquid-gel and squeeze out a drop. One drop, twice a day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts