Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
My 9 month old female lab/border collie mix (weight 43 lbs) has been experiencing UTI's since I adopted her at 7 weeks.
She's 2 weeks on Cephelexin, 1 week off and the infection returns. We've done cultures, U/A's, U/S, etc.
We are at the point where my vet tried her on a profilactic antibiotic (which if it was working, she would be on forever) and we are 11 days into it and I saw signs last night of the infection returnng (??) She didn't last the whole day (which she normally does when she's on the meds), and she pee'd about 6 times outside (2 is her norm) - she was straining after the first 2.
When I took her sample to the vet last night there were no signs of white cells, crystals or blook but her PH which is usually around 6 is at 7.5. She gets 2 Cranberry tablets per day so this was puzzling to my vet and she said that it seems to her like the medication is not doing what it's supposed to be doing.
The final step in this saga was that she wants to do a recessed vulva surgery. (Molly does have one)
Does anyone have information on this? I know it's not done often. But we have tried every other option and I just feel AWFUL about the fact that this poor dog has been on medication her entire life. I'm also going to be having someone come in half way through the day and let her out.
I alos have a 4 year old Boxer (no problems) and they are left alone for approximately 10 hours.
I feel so defeated with this poor dog....
Please help where possible. Giving her up, putting her down - none of htis is an option. I love her and she's part of our family.

Also, she's on Natural Choice Chicken, Oatmeal and Rice (my Boxer as Acid Reflux so this is the ONLY thing that keeps his tummy calm) and the vet said changing her food will not do anything. :) Just wanted to make sure I covered that.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
hi
I have a 6 yr old doxie that i just adopted i was told she gets them a lot she is on cranberry pills once a day s/o food mixed with her reg kibble and
when she has had them they have used clavamox and also amoxicillen
i am not a vet but usually they use cef for bad skin
keep us posted
jamie

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That surgery could help, I would do more research on it. Are you forcing liquids by floating her food and having her go out often? When she is alone during the day she has access to outside? I have read that cleaning the genital area daily can help as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 7 month old Pom had a bladder infection and it was discovered that she, too, has a sunken vulva. The vet told me I could expect her to have many future bladder infections and problems getting pregnant. He also said she could have a minor reconstructive surgery to correct the problem, but I'm not taking that road...at least not yet. She's been through one round of Clavamox tablets (split in half). So far, she seems better, but I'm just waiting for the symptoms to come back. I haven't tried the cranberry pills/juice yet, I wanna see how recurring the infections become. I am going to subscribe to this thread, would like to know how things work out for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts