Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why are so many dogs re-bred? I see so many out there, here are a few examples as to what I mean. There are:
Brittany
French Brittany
Japanese Akita
American Akita
German Rottie
Rottie
To name a few....

Why can't people be happy with the breed that was already created? Why do they have to go and recreate the breed to suit their needs? Are their personalities that different from each other? Why can't people just settle with the breed that's there?

Lots of questions, yes, sorry--but I'm just curious. :help:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was reading something somewhere that was talking about the exact opposite. It said that because dog showing is not as popular as it was before that several breeds that were created just for showing are disappearing.

Then there is the introduction of "designer breeds," which I was raised that if the dog isn't a pure bred full blooded its a mutt. I look at Auriel every day and wonder if her registration papers are accurate.

Why can't people be happy with the breed that was already created
Because people always want something different and new and rare. Take the "designer breeds" people paid and still pay outrageous prices for mutt dogs and then are so proud that its a Shih Poo or whatever. Then there are the other people who adopt a dog from a shelter and want to know what it is and say its some rare breed.

Why do they have to go and recreate the breed to suit their needs?
Are they recreating the breed or just cross breeding with a certain breed for a couple of generations and slapping a new name on it?

Are their personalities that different from each other?
Most likely not unless the breeding is bad and they may be just changing the coat color or the head shape.

Why can't people just settle with the breed that's there?
Basically what I said earlier, people what new and different and want to be the first person on their block to have a rare and hard to get Japanese Akita. Like around here, everyone has labs or pits or chis or yorkies, just the fact I have a different dog from the norm causes her to get more attention.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, I don't know about the breeds that you listed but I do know that some people are trying to recreate breeds to get back to the "old style" before the dog shows made purebreeds strickly for show. Too many show dogs have extreme over exaggerated features. For example, if you look at pictures of working Basset Hounds and a show Basset Hound, it's almost like two different breeds.

My Buttercup is an Olde English Bulldogge which is sort of a "recreation" of the English Bulldog. I love EBs but would probably never own one because of the health problems, so the OEB is perfect for me.
Now to be honest, the OEB has a long way to go in my opinion. There are way too many unscrupulous breeders out there that are mixing anything with an EB and then calling it (and unfortunately registering it) as an OEB. Hopefully, one day they will get it all sorted out.
I didn't buy Buttercup from her breeder so I have no idea what her lines are. I keep staring at her temporary puppy registration and wondering if I should just send it in and get her pedigree, but I don't want to be disappointed if I find out that her line isn't great...which it's probably not.

Anyway, forgive me if I'm missing the point. Like I said, I don't know anything about the breeds you listed. I just think that some (but few) breeds are recreated for good.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I was wondering why are so many dogs re-bred? I see so many out there, here are a few examples as to what I mean. There are:
Brittany
French Brittany
Japanese Akita
American Akita
German Rottie
Rottie
To name a few....:
Many of these you have listed seem to show breed splits. Often in the dog world this has to do with a phenotypic and working style difference between the two breeds. Looking at the first two on your list.

French brittanys, the Epagneul Breton, are separate and quite different from an American brittany and are recognized as a separate breed. The differences lie in conformation, temperament and style of hunting.
http://french-brittany.com/frbrit.htm

Why can't people be happy with the breed that was already created? Why do they have to go and recreate the breed to suit their needs? Are their personalities that different from each other? :
As stated above about the Brittany and French Brittany, some people find important differences.

I find this an odd question. Would you be satisfied with owning a husky type dog? or a working collie? What if the 'breed' that is out there does not suit your wants in a dog?

It is an interesting question you are asking but it has deep implications as you seem to imply that a 'cut off' line should to be drawn. Are we to be restricted to just what some other people think are 'right'? Some people would have no companion dogs (I've heard that voiced) as they are of no use. Where do we cut this off?

I balk at the idea of restricting breeder's imaginations. Dogs and breeds have evolved for thousands of years into the different strains and specialties that we have because of breeders imaginations, and because our culture is in constant change there will constantly be need to address this in the dogs that people have.

For instance, companion bred dogs have been around for thousands of years . . . but up to 100 years or so ago were not the most common type as most dogs were kept for work. These days that is shifting and there is an ever increasing use for companion bred dogs.

SOB

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes there is a big difference between a hunting Basset and a show Basset. It has been like that for hundredsr of years - even before dog fancying. It was about how the hunter on foot wanted to hunt... I agree some Bassets are too exaggerated but they have been an exaggerated breed from the start. Like Bloodhounds - they are a purpose built sniffer.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Those aren't exactly recreated breeds so much as split breeds. American and French brittanies split because the job they perform over here is different than the one brittanies perform overseas. Akitas split in much the same way. The American style dogs became over time significantly different enough from the Japanese dogs to become a new breed. Breeds naturally branch off of one another as function changes and in the past as populations are separated by distance. Take collies for example. The ancestor of the collie types was an all around farm dog. When people started selecting for sheepdog trials, you ended up with border collies. When people started breeding the farmdogs for show, you ended up with the 'lassie' collie. The all around farm types are still here in the form of Welsh sheepdogs, English shepherds, Aussies, etc. (Overly simplified but you get the point) Other breeds, like shelties, lost the original type altogether. The modern sheltie is little like the ancestor breed.

Breeds splitting is natural. New breeds showing up over time and old ones dying out is natural too. As jobs and functions for dogs change, we'll see some breeds change to suit the new functions, others will die out, and new ones will be created.

I personally don't understand people who think that what we have now is what we will always have and anything new is wrong.

A couple of the breeds I am looking into have lines that are very different from each other. Some of these lines would fit my needs better than others. They can be very distinctly different and I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of them eventually end up with two or more breeds. I recently read a study where the genetic differences between Australian show line border collies and then American working border collies were as large as that between two completely different breeds. Actually, I tend to think it's better after a certain point to start calling these dogs a different breed.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your replies.

Noz--yeah people do love different or rare breeds. I think it's cool to own a rare breed, but not everyone has them.
Are they recreating the breed or just cross breeding with a certain breed for a couple of generations and slapping a new name on it?
^That is a good question! Perhaps both.

SOB and Laurelin--thank you. Now I understand! I just thought it was because of people's arrogance that they just had to go out and make another dog breed. There are enough in shelters, I thought, why make the same breed over again? But you're both right and I never thought to think that it could be because the breed is changing for people's needs. Some are working breeds, while others are companions. And it's called breed splitting, thank you. I learned a new word and the answer to my questions. :)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I sometimes find it odd the way people defend breed standard and seem dead set against the idea of new breeds (even those 'designer' mixes). In my view, an intentionally bred dog should have health and temperament be the first and foremost concerns. Other than that I honestly don't care if people want to miniaturize a larger breed or take some of the drive out of difficult working dogs, it can provide some interesting and worthwhile results. The lovely mutts I've owned and seen have convinced me that purebred dogs aren't inherently better than mixed. If you are looking for a specific feature then by all means go purebred but I'm a big believer in the power of genetic diversity :)

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alw--you're right. The breeder's primary concern should be the dog's health and temperament. I was just wondering why all of the sudden I was hearing/seeing an American GSD or like the one poster has in the Picture Forum, a Polish Boxer. So I asked and the above two posters answered in a way I understood.

adam--what type of rare breed do you have?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm jk Idk if he's rare just wanted to be in on this:) he's a English bulldog/ austrlian shepherd.. every dog is rare.. just like every human imo...ull never have the same dog just like u won't ever have the same kid twice.. he's my love of my life 21 and found my Passion through him that's rare I think:).... I think dog must have some temperament... We can totally take the wild out of a dog.. they have to be able to defend it self.. just like humans..if the world was at least "decent" I would agree but no.. I dog must fight back when its harmed... If there breed not too.. then the same thing gunna happen to thst poor pug here in texas:((( so

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
the vast majority of breeds you see these days are recreations of breeds that died out and show fanciers recreated them for the show ring, then they got so warped that other people starts recreating them to what THEY think the orginal breed was like ie Roman Rotties, Giant Alaskan Mal's, Shiloh Shepherd, Old English Bulldogge etc.. many are "newer" so people disparege them, but they are no more fake then the show ring recreations lol

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Brittany
French Brittany
Japanese Akita
American Akita
German Rottie
Rottie
To name a few....

Why can't people be happy with the breed that was already created? Why do they have to go and recreate the breed to suit their needs? Are their personalities that different from each other? Why can't people just settle with the breed that's there?

Lots of questions, yes, sorry--but I'm just curious. :help:
They are the same breeds, just different 'types' American Dobermans are still the Doberman Pinscher, but the finer bone and lower working drive are what Americans have bred their Dobermans toward. It's not vanity, it's type preferance in an area or Region of the world.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'm on the fence with this issue. I don't like to see breeds exaggerated for show, or other purposes, yet every breed created was done so for a reason.

My breed of choice, the Belgian malinois, is not a breed many others would choose. However, most other breeds don't suit me. I have seen some show line mals "watered down" taking away drive and intellect. I hate to see this. I would rather see very few malinois period than "American lines" or what have you.

I breed occasionally, for working dogs. Where I'm on the fence, is I don't like to see some dogs for work that are kept kenneled because they are too much to handle when not being worked. Some working breeders go for this extreme. So its a toss up. On one hand, keep the breed original, or change it to suit what is needed. If the dog isn't needed, as in breed, what happens then?

So my view, is if it is the best interest of the breed in the long run, change it. Keep health first though.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
What's the harm in creating a new breed, though? It's not like there is only room for X breeds in the world, and if we go over that limit we've got to get rid of one of the existing ones. I don't really care what other people like in a dog, and hope they don't care what I like in a dog. Every breed started because the breeds that were already there didn't suit someone and was created from other breeds.

Every time this kind of thing comes up, I just honestly don't get why anyone cares if someone else wants to try to create a new breed. Or even if someone makes a new mix/cross for that matter.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Every time this kind of thing comes up, I just honestly don't get why anyone cares if someone else wants to try to create a new breed. Or even if someone makes a new mix/cross for that matter.
I think it's an essential misunderstanding of how dogs end up in shelters. Like it's easy to think that since there are so many dogs in shelters that we don't need to be breeding more dogs and creating new breeds. But obviously the real problem has little to do with how many breeds there are in existence, but really how people manage and care for whatever dogs they've got.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sassafras--I thought it was people's arrogance in making a new breed. Sort of like, "I don't like how this breed is, so I'm going to create a new one." So my first reaction was, "how dare you." Then everyone here started to really explain it to me and I finally got it.

kafkabeetle--exactly. Yes.

And thank you everyone else for explaining it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts