Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought home a 3 year old 80lb Lab over the weekend, one of the first things I did was go toy shopping for him since I knew my small dog's little toys would not last more than a few seconds with this guy.
I mainly bought him Kongs. Kong Extreme, Kong Squeaker Football, Kong Squeaker Bone, Kong Donut and one of those Skinneeez with no stuffing. $50+ in toys, figured they would last a little while. Nope. It's Tuesday and most are already ripped apart and cracked. He loves to play! I also bought him a nice meaty bone, he went and he buried it.
I don't mind spending the money on his toys, but I would like if they lasted more than a few days.
At this rate I am going to have to sell my house to keep him in toys.
He gets plenty of exercise with walks and about 2 acres to run around in, which he does.

Any toy recommendations?

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
A lot of toys just aren't meant to be used as chew toys, things like the squeaker football are pretty durable if you only use it for fetch. Same with the rope tug toys- I find the braided cotton rope toys to be super strong but they are not chew toys and are never left alone with a dog.

The Goughnuts toys are pretty durable, the Nylabone durable chews in the "souper" size (the largest ones) have stood up well to my pit and lab/pit fosters who were both big chewers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Goughnuts look pretty tough, not a bad price either if they can last. Someone else also recommended Orbee-Tuff Cosmos dog toys that I will look into.
I think the most fun he's had since being here is when I gave him a large peanut butter jar that was nearly empty.

·
Registered
591 Posts
empty plastic milk bottles and 2 liter soda bottles are great, just make sure you remove the caps so they dont choke on them !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, sounds like I over spent on toys when I have those things always around the house. It is nice having another dog around to spoil though.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Tough by Nature toys have held up pretty well with my boys.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
empty plastic milk bottles and 2 liter soda bottles are great, just make sure you remove the caps so they dont choke on them !
I'd recomend cutting off the part the cap screws onto too. I tried one of the toys stuffed with a water bottle and the cap end shattered into jagged shards. Luckily it was contained in the toy.

I recomend a length of old garden hose. This is one of my dogs favorites.

Squirrel Dude is pretty is up there with classic kong
The dog tire is holding up well so far.
Also stay away from kong genius. My classic kongs have held up very well but that just broke apart really quickly
Nylabone 2nded

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Nylabones did hold up well but what I didn't like about them is that my Mastiff would chew little slivers off and then would gag and cough. Plus, those little slivers (like grains of rice) would get stuck in the carpet and were a pain to get out.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nylabones are great. My favorite toys for large tough playing dogs are jolly balls, kongs, and bionic toys. I had a 135 lb. GSD mix who stole a bumper from our boat and that lasted him a good long time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking online for some of these things mentioned. We are a ways from the nearest town that has a good supply of dogs toys and the supply is limited at that.
We had a couple tires that we had rolled down into our orchard and he found those yesterday and was trying to drag them up to the yard.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
The goal of a Lab is to tear things apart. My dog will take an indestructible hard rubber bone and tear off small pieces :)

I recommend a frozen stuffed Kong... removed after your dog has emptied it... after 5 min. !!! And a hard rubber bone.

I also give my dog large raw carrot with the top part removed (the green part is toxic for dogs and for people). You may have to 'teach' your dog to enjoy chewing a carrot by giving him small chunks to chew... If he won't work with the whole carrot. I don't see a reason to give a Lab small baby carrot.... might as well give him kibble to chew on :)

You might also consider a Buster Cube. He can't chew it (you hope), but it'll keep him occupied.

Remember that anything a Lab destroys, he may swallow.... I don't mind cleaning up a destroyed toy... but I'm concerned about swallowing stuff.... until you know the dog... BTW, my dog Does destroy and swallow... but he chews it into small pieces... I was lucky and learned this afterwards, with no ill effects, when he was much younger.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
The goal of a Lab is to tear things apart. My dog will take an indestructible hard rubber bone and tear off small pieces :)

I recommend a frozen stuffed Kong... removed after your dog has emptied it... after 5 min. !!! And a hard rubber bone.

I also give my dog large raw carrot with the top part removed (the green part is toxic for dogs and for people). You may have to 'teach' your dog to enjoy chewing a carrot by giving him small chunks to chew... If he won't work with the whole carrot. I don't see a reason to give a Lab small baby carrot.... might as well give him kibble to chew on :)

You might also consider a Buster Cube. He can't chew it (you hope), but it'll keep him occupied.

Remember that anything a Lab destroys, he may swallow.... I don't mind cleaning up a destroyed toy... but I'm concerned about swallowing stuff.... until you know the dog... BTW, my dog Does destroy and swallow... but he chews it into small pieces... I was lucky and learned this afterwards, with no ill effects, when he was much younger.
I also have a destroy and swallow type dog so I have to be very careful with the toys I leave him unsupervised with. Large nylabones, antlers, and ultra chuck-it balls are the only things I've found so far that he enjoys and can't completely destroy.

A buster cube will depend on the dog, if I left Jubel alone with the one I bought it'd be destroyed. I bought one but I'm not overly impressed with it as far as dispensing food toys go. I prefer the Bob-a-Lot, tricky ball, and kibble nibble balls when it comes to degree of difficulty and durability. All of them I need to watch/listen for him to finish his meal and removed the toy before the chewing really starts.

Braided ropes are great tug toys but not safe to leave alone with my boy at least. He chews off the fringe and eats it, given time he'll chew it all to pieces and eat that as well. Pretty sure swallowing parts of a rope toy led to Jubel's bloat scare so they are ONLY tug toys now.

The kong squeeze toys are great, Jubel absolutely loved his for the first 3 days and it stood up to his attentions very well. Now he's rarely interested in it but the foster dogs who've visited have enjoyed it, still 100% intact. YMMV

Kong wubba makes and great fetch toy, but my boy will chew off the canvas strips if I didn't put it away after fetch. Makes a good tug toy as well.

For cheap and easy Jubel loves to chew on empty plastic soda bottles, thankfully he actually spits out the caps and the ring from the top of the bottle himself when he finds a bottle accidentally left around the house. Also cardboard boxes are super fun to destroy as well. Involves some clean up after the fact but it's worth it seeing how much fun he has tearing them apart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also, brands like Kong use thick rubber which is more durable than traditional thin plastic, so these toys can stand up to even the roughest chewers. Hard rubber toys are ideal for any dog that seems to be destroying its toys faster than you can purchase them.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
The media hypes about how destructive a Pitbull may be, but you don't hear as many stories about Labs.... That's because Labs know better than to leave any evidence... :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far he's having fun with basketballs/soccer balls. He pops them within a matter of minutes but, he will play with the deflated balls for hours. I am going to see if I can find some horse play balls this weekend.
He goes right through Kongs, they don't last a day. He punctures them, rips them apart.
We also go through a ton of tennis balls, but we're mainly using those for fetch now.

Anything that he can't destroy, he buries in the garden or the field behind the house. I don't know why, it's just his thing. Other than toys, he has a huge collection of bones around the grounds.

I have to get really creative with him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts