Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I have a 15 month old pointing griffon who does great on leash and when in close proximity, but when he gets to running around the field there is no stopping him. Especially when my horses get excited. I have worked with him extensively on leash with the horses lunging in the round pen, and he is awesome. When he is off leash it is like I don't exist.

My dad is getting in a few lambs for slaughter soon and I need to completely break him of this habit, not to mention he has no recall when he gets excited. If he is just working the pasture I can recall him but when he is focused on a smell there is none.

So recommended E collars?

I do have quite a bit of obedience training (I had the top dog in the state for my division in 4-H) which I know is not big leagues but I do know what I am doing. It is just different going from a herding cross to a full blooded pointer.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have the tritronics sport model. I like it, the remote is small enough to go in a pocket and not too heavy if it's hanging around my neck, it works for three collars if needed (or two in my case) and I can adjust the corrections on the remote as well as use the buzzer.

I started using the buzzer as a warning and now hardly have to actually correct, unless she's hellbent on doing something (like her fave, ignoring me on a double to go see what the other bird is in case it's more interesting, or not slowing down enough to actually scent and blasting to the border because she hasn't stepped on a duck yet:rolleyes:).

If you're looking for used as an option, check with local hunting clubs or even the reps, sometimes they'll have someone that wants to upgrade their system. I got mine for fairly cheap because the person decided it wasn't what they wanted and sold it after a week:p

Lana

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
If you decide to go with an ecollar, you may want to think about whether you are going to use it as negative reinforcement training or punishment (P+) because that will need to clarified for you before you start.

I am not a fan of ecollars, but do understand that in some emergency situations (such as yours) they may be needed. Please ensure you get the proper training method sorted out so you can succeed and not do damage to the dog. You may want to pmail Wvasko or Txrider here on DF, both have used ecollars in their training.

·
Registered
250 Posts
We just picked up the Dogtra 3500 NCP Super-X. I haven't started e-collar training with Moose yet. But it has 127 levels of correction...I put it on Mild and just tested it out on myself. lol....I got to level 25 before I even felt the tingle. It's nice to have so many levels to fine tune the collar, and not have only 10 or whatever to choose from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts