Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're getting a rescue this weekend. He's a mini schnauzer, 8 or 9 months old. I'm looking for recommendations for good dog toys. What's safe, what's not, and what are some of the favorites out there. Also, something to keep him happy and busy in the crate when I have to leave the house for appointments or grocery shopping or whatever. I've read great things about the Kong toy (with peanut butter in it).

I'd love to hear recommendations. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think there are a lot of people here who would suggest kong toys. I have not bought them myself, but they look pretty cool. My pup loves toys with string and rope. He loves dragging them and chewing them and whipping them around. he goes nuts with one he has, it's a squeaky smiley face on a rope. He throws the rope around and usually ends up hitting himself in the head with the smiley face and making it squeak! xD

·
Registered
118 Posts
My schnoodle tears up all soft toys but he loves them.. Kongs are the most sturdy but I don't put treats in them.. He loves the kong ball best and also other soft balls he loves but he eventually tears them up..I would never leave a toy in his crate with him..my husband did this once and he tore it up and ate part of it..

·
Banned
1,628 Posts
Almost anything but the consumables may be safe for him. The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not there to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed. I don't trust any of the consumable chews. The dogs just gnaw them down to a dangerous size too quickly. These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive chewers such as Labs.

Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Oh yes, thanks for going with a rescue. If we only had a few million more like you.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I agree, a good toy that most dogs generally like is the Kong toy. Personally, I don't have a ton of suggestions for toys because my dog is completely uninterested in anything that isn't edible. Though, if a trip to the pet store wouldn't be too stressful for him, you could let him pick out his own toy. All dogs are different, some like plushies, some like squeeky toys, and some like tennis balls. You've just got to try some different toys out and see what he's interested in :D

I will recommend that you stay away from any hollow toy with only one hole in it, though. Hollow toys like bouncing balls need at least two holes, otherwise your dog could create suction by chewing on it and get his tongue sucked into the hole. There have been dogs who have had to get their tongues amputated because of toys such as these. Some of the cheaper ball shaped toys end up only having one hole, and if you end up buying one, at least make sure to drill a second hole into the opposite side to prevent the suction action that might suck his tongue inside.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Oh yes, thanks for going with a rescue. If we only had a few million more like you.
Ditto on the thanks! But I wanted to say, I love your "homemade rope" idea. Although I think I'd go with cotton or hemp, because in the worst case scenario, it can be digested. Of course, then you can't melt the ends. Hmmm, maybe I'll try three strands of a smaller diameter and braid it... hmmm. Thanks for the head-starter!

I make my own "sock logs" out of my old, stained or holed athletic socks, too. Just put one inside another inside another inside an...well, just keep going until the thickness is right for your dog, then scrunch the inside ones down enough to tie the open end of the last one in a knot. When the outer layer gets dirty/shredded, just remove it, tie off the "new" outer layer, and you're good to go!

·
Registered
40 Posts
*I also posted this in a nother thread*

Our boder collie pup LOVES the ASPCA toy at wal mart! Its like the only toy she'll play with and a tug rope. Its a lil animal of some sort and the top squeeks and the bottom has a different squeek and its also mad for owners to play and intereact with the dogs. I would deffinatly try it they come in purple blue and pink after she liked it so much we got all three lol.

Heres the link (i guess they come in orange also) Its a 3 pack but they sell at walmart for 4 bucks seperate. Theres alot of negative feedback but the toys are meant for human interaction and not to be left alone for long periods with the dog So we got her meat flavored bones and a few other toys to play with while shes alone. Hope you try it :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ASPCA-Plus...-Dogs/10889895

·
Registered
334 Posts
For keeping the dog occupied in the crate, I put vanilla yogurt into a Kong toy with some tiny bite sized treats mixed in. Then I freeze it. When it's crate time, the dog gets it and since the yogurt is frozen inside the Kong, it takes her awhile to get everything out of it.

I also like Bouncy Bone (it's a chew bone with chewable rings on each side of the bone, seen here: http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/behavior/busybuddy/bouncybone/description and the Everlasting Treat Ball which really lasts a long time: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18516.

·
Registered
190 Posts
is this toy shopping we get to do for you? how fun!

you definatly want a busy toy, a chewing toy, a chasing toy, a tugging toy, a learning toy and a fetch toy... hmmm, now to go find links for you!

here you go!
http://www.bestfriendsgeneralstore.com/unique_dog_toys_c/Toys_by_Playing_Style/Toys+By+Playing+Style

I LOVE this website, they have the best toys. And you'll see how they're broken up by play style. Great stuff really!
I bought a few of the easier 'brain teasers' for my poodle thinking they would keep him busy, he's much smarter than I give him credit for! oh! and the prices are great too. I compared the prices to amazon and with the free shipping I got on my order- it was worth buying from Best Friend's General Store. :)

oh! one more thing, I got a coupon in my last email from them- see if it works!
http://www.ratepoint.com/coupons/15373

·
Registered
3,946 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Kit insists that I click on every category. She loves toys that squeak, bounce and roll. She loves tug toys and balls. Anything that involves food tops her list.
She has been known to destroy toys and de-stuff them as well. She thinks that the "quiet-loving toys" are lame, though.
totally LOL! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts