Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sasha is on a limited ingredient diet. We are checking her for allergies. Most of the time she gets homemade raw deer, but I cannot always find that and for convenience I like to have a kibble she can have sometimes. I need a high-quality kibble that I can feed her once or more per day.

Ingredients we are avoiding:
- chicken
- fish
- peanuts/peanut butter
- grains
- sweet potatoes (maybe)
(NutroNuggets and Nature's Domain were not good foods for her)

Ingredients that seem to be ok:
- deer
- beef
- pork
- olive oil

·
Registered
281 Posts
Off the top of my head I'd say any of NV Instinct Formulas except salmon or chicken of course. No grain and it has tapioca in the place of potatoes and grains.
LI Lamb Meal Formula

Lamb Meal, Tapioca, Canola Oil, Peas, Natural Flavor, Montmorillonite Clay, Coconut Oil, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sea Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Dried Green Tea, Mixed Tocopherols with Citric Acid (a natural preservative), Rosemary Extract.

LI Turkey Meal Formula

Turkey Meal, Tapioca, Canola Oil, Peas, Natural Flavor, Montmorillonite Clay, Coconut Oil, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sea Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Dried Green Tea, Mixed Tocopherols with Citric Acid (a natural preservative), Rosemary Extract.

Heres more

http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/dog/kibble/all

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
This stuff is very expensive though you don't need to feed nearly as much as with any other type of kibble. If it is just a sometimes food it might be worthwhile as it is as close to raw as you can get with a "kibble". It's supposed to be hypoallergenic as well since it has very limited ingredients.

http://www.ziwipeak.com/

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
ToTW has a venison/bison formula and a duck/quail/turkey formula along with a lamb formula

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try TOTW, I just recently switched and my dogs seem to love it. It gets great reviews on here and has a 5 star rating. Best of all for you, they have bison and venison formulas.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
ToTW has a venison/bison formula and a duck/quail/turkey formula along with a lamb formula
I was going to suggest the Lamb formula. I don't think it has any of the forbidden ingredients. The venison/bison formula and the duck/quail/turkey formula both have a solid amount of chicken, unfortunately.

My other suggestion is Acana Ranchlands.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They all have fish and/or sweet potato in them.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
wellness has a limited ingredient food. the simple ingredient foods. very little ingredients. best way to check your dog for allergies.
here is the ingredients for the duck and rice
Ground Rice, Duck, Rice Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Tomato Pomace, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Natural Duck Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Beta-Carotene, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid], Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Choline Chloride, Taurine.

This is a naturally preserved product.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I am trying out Back to Basics with my boy right now (I rotate his food every 6 weeks or so) and they have a pork formula that may fit your requirements. They have lots of coupons and free sample offers right now as well.

http://www.backtobasicspetfood.com/

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
http://www.ziwipeak.com/
Well... I finally found a shop that could bring this in for me as a special order... $143 for 11lbs!
:jaw:

Their web site says "1 portion = 3 portions of raw meat", so if Sasha eats 7oz of raw meat per meal, then she'd only need 2.33 oz of Ziwipeak. In an 11 lb bag, that's 75 meals at $1.90 per meal (plus tax). That's still less than buying frozen raw venison food when the donations from hunters dry up and it does give us the convenience of a dry food when we need portability.

California Naturals has a venison food, too.

Ingredients

Venison Meal
Peas
Potatoes
Sunflower Oil (Naturally Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols)
Pea Fiber
Natural Flavors
Potassium Chloride
Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate)
Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Betaine Hydrochloride, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid) Taurine

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the list I've narrowed it down to. I went onto http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ , searched for "venison" and then read ingredients to avoid sweet potatoes and fish. If you have experience with these foods, feel free to comment:

Nature's Logic Natural Venison Meal Dinner Far – 5 star
Nature's Variety Prairie New Zealand Venison Meal & Millet – 5 star
Nature's Recipe Healthy Skin Venison Meal & Rice Recipe – 4 star
Wellness Simple Solutions Rice & Venison – 4 star

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Until you really start looking hard at the ingredients, limited really should not be on the front label. I feel sorry for you sasha's mom. to have such a young dog so allergic to many things.

And I really was not thinking last night. DAH!!!! Rice IS a grain.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I feel sorry for you sasha's mom. to have such a young dog so allergic to many things.
Well, we do not know that she is allergic to many things. I want to restrict her diet as much as I can so we can see if diet is her problem.

Some people argue that "hybrid viggor" is a reason to adopt a mutt dog. It is not. Good breeders work to eliminate allergies and immune system problems from their lines. My free farm puppy is costing lots of money in vet bills and special foods. Oh well. Feel sorry for Sasha. I love her, but I should have given my money to a good breeder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts