Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for breed recommendations for probably fairly far into the future. I want to start doing research, meeting members of the breeds, and thinking about it. Gypsy has become the family dog, and I when I move out, I doubt my family will let me take her along. Don't worry; I won't get a dog until I'm in a stable place, financially and otherwise. I'm also not opposed to getting a shelter mix, an older dog, or a rescue dog. But I'm asking for breeds that fit most of my criteria.

Under 50 lbs – ideally 8 to 30
Quiet – I cannot stand dogs that bark at everything. I don't mind the occasional alert when someone's at the door or a woof of surprise or play, but I generally dislike yappy breeds. My BC mix is almost silent, and I love that.
Agreeable toward people and other animals – Assuming proper socialization, I want my dog to be comfortable around people, dogs and cats. Preferably somewhat aloof with people besides the family, but not defensive or aggressive.
Biddable – Wants to please, isn't too stubborn
Medium to high intelligence
Low to med high energy, but quieter in the home – I can adapt the exercise schedule to the dog's needs, but I definitely want a dog that does NOT have as much obsessive energy as a BC. It needs to turn off in the house.

I want a dog that will travel fairly well, enjoy excursions to the park or hiking trails, adapt if I change homes or end up in an apartment. This dog would get plenty of mental stimulation (I love training) as well as regular walks/runs. Depending on the breed, I may look into sports or just obedience. It would not be competitive, but more for fun for me and the dog.
Also, I'm an assertive, consistent owner. I'm confident I would be fine with dogs that may not be "beginner" dogs.

Feel free to recommend any breed you may feel is a close fit! Thanks!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well a sheltie or corgi would match all your requirements except the barking. Both breeds can be fairly vocal but can be trained out of it. Our sheltie is nearly silent most of the time, he would match your criteria perfectly haha.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Others can step in here, but the first breed that came to mind after reading your criteria was a French Bulldog...

Edit: okay, they do have that "bulldog stubbornness", but almost all of the Frenchies I've known certainly want to please you and make you laugh nonetheless. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a silken windhound, and they seem to fit your criteria pretty well. Sighthounds aren't for everyone, but if you are interested in them, it is a breed you could do some more research on. He's 35 pounds, pretty quiet (though he does bark when people come in the door ), he has been easy to train (especially house training); he loves to run and play but he's also very calm and sleeps a lot. He's friendly with people he knows well but he is shy ( never aggressive) around strangers, especially children. But like any sighthound, they get bored easily so intense repetitive training will get you nowhere. They can have a high prey drive so they may not do well with small animals (though they're often good with cats if they've been well socialized with then from puppyhood) and they need to be kept on leash at all times unless they're behind a secure fence.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Others can step in here, but the first breed that came to mind after reading your criteria was a French Bulldog...

Edit: okay, they do have that "bulldog stubbornness", but almost all of the Frenchies I've known certainly want to please you and make you laugh nonetheless. :)
A lot of Frenchies bark, I know mine does a lot at every little noise. And it is a shrill almost crowing like bark.

To the OP: I am not sure, but I second the dog breed selector quiz.

·
Registered
392 Posts
What about a mini poodle? Mine fits pretty much all your criteria. He does bark some, but only because we have 3 other dogs that bark so he joins in. If they don't bark, he usually doesn't unless another dog is in our yard or he is playing really hard. Also, the grooming might be more than you want.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Bichon Frise!! I just got one and she is AMAZING...I did a lot of research, and this is why I got a Bichon:
#1: Less dander than other breeds because I'm allergic
#2: SUPER friendly and good with dogs and people
#3: Doesn't really bark (unlike my maltipoo who makes an excellent watchdog at 3 am)
#4: Doesn't need too much exercise
#5: Very affectionate - mine crawls right next to me while watching tv or sleeping. She's also very playful and sweet
#6: aims to please ! but hard to housebreak...

However, grooming is expensive, and you have to be wiling to brush her everyday or keep her coat short.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My first thought was Sheltie though I know they can be barkers but they are pretty trainable dogs so training actually might be able to resolve that. I know you have a collie mix but a collie (not a border collie) might be a good fit. Even though they are much larger that you are looking for I have found they are everything you seem to be looking for besides the size.

Side Note: I was wondering, your pup looks more like a tri-color collie mix than a border collie or an AS. http://www.taliesencollies.com/images/9_mos_tri-color_female_rough_collie.JPG

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Well a sheltie or corgi would match all your requirements except the barking. Both breeds can be fairly vocal but can be trained out of it. Our sheltie is nearly silent most of the time, he would match your criteria perfectly haha.
A Corgi doesn't fit energy requirements OR agreeable with dogs. Corgis can be prone to dog aggression.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I don't have personal experience with these breeds, but I would recommend (in no particular order): Cavalier Kind Charles Spaniel, Bichon Frise, Miniature Poodle, Smaller sighthound like Whippet or Italian Greyhound, Chihuahua, Boston Terrier, or a mixed breed dog.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the replies! They are hugely appreciated!
The most important criteria for me are probably quiet, biddible, and an off-switch. My BC/Aussie girlie is a joy with her boundless energy, drive, and enthusiasm, but since I'll be the only one caring for the new dog, I feel I should aim for an animal that's slightly lower key.

A sheltie is an interesting suggestion. I had dismissed them initially because every sheltie I've known, save one, has been a huge chatterbox. But I don't know the kind of care they received. Probably not enough exercise. The one that was quiet was an elderly dog, very well trained. If I went for a sheltie or a collie, I might aim for an older dog (retired show or rescue) so I could gauge whether it tended to be vocal. We were looking at getting a dog from the Tristate Collie Rescue prior to ending up with the Gypster. I know some lovely collies.

@ActiveDog - My girlie is a known Aussie/BC. She definitely more resembles a collie in the pic in my sig and a few I've posted on the site, but that was during her awkward teenage months. She got leggy and lanky. She's filled out now, looks almost completely border collie. I should post newer pics sometime.

Yeah, I think corgies would be wrong for me: too vocal, drivey and hard-headed. They're great dogs, though.

Miniature poodles and bichons are good suggestions. Appearance, they're not my preference, but it's good to hear them mentioned. I won't dismiss them because their look isn't my ideal. Character of the dog is far more important. The low shed thing would be nice, heh.

I honestly never thought French Bulldog. Cute little dogs. But barky? Eeee, dunno.

A couple spaniels have been mentioned. I'll look into the cavalier (EDIT: and the cocker spaniel), thanks. The Brittany might be a bit too much for me, but I honestly know little about them. I'll do some reading. Any other smaller spaniels that might be worth considering?

I LOVE the look and literature persona of certain sighthounds. I say literature persona because I don't have any real experience with sighthounds' personalities. I've met, no kidding, one. Ran into a cute Italian greyhound at a pet store. His owner had good things to say about the breed. I've been following the development of the silken windhound breed with curiosity. They sound like a near fit for me. Whippets too have a lot of breed characteristics that I like. I need to meet some, haha. I know book and reality can differ considerably. Sighthounds are much different than the herders that I'm used to.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My rat terrier is great. He's quiet and lazy, but if one day I wanted to get up and hike all day he would be right there with me. :) I would also recommend looking into sight-hounds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts