Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I am new to the site, so I apologize if a discussion similar to this already exist. Any help in the right direction is very appreciated!

I recently adopted a (then) 8 months old Heeler mix from the humane society. He had a broken leg and an external fixator for the first month I had him and then spent a few more months laying low healing.

He's now 11 months and happy as can be!
Unfortunately though I think he has some issues with his food. At first I thought the loose stool was due to his pain medication and maybe just being on so many antibiotics in the last 6 months (atleast 2-3 rounds).

He started off on Nutrisource Chicken & Rice (2, 30 pound bags were consumed) and now I have switched him to Fromm Salmon a La Veg. His stool is still very soft and not ideal afford to the poop charts online. I did give him a bottle of primal goat's milk (over the course of several days) hoping the probiotics would help, but no such luck.

Other than his loose stool, he has no other signs of food allergies.

What do you all suggest?

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
One of my dogs gets diarrhea on salmon. It's a pretty rich fish. Maybe switch him to a more common protein like lamb or beef if he wasn't doing well with chicken. My dogs also have better digestion on grain-inclusive foods (I'm guessing "a la veg" is probably grain-free) than on kibbles where the binding agent is tubers or legumes.

He might just need some time to build up good gut flora again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I had no idea that it could possibly be the rich salmon causing the issue! It does contain Oats Groats, Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, ect.

I personally would like to stay away from corn and I'm on the fence about peas/chickpeas.

Finding a recipe that doesn't have chicken, Corn, Peas, ect. Has proven to be quite the task.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
One of the first things I would try is to simply give him a bit less food, as overfeeding can cause loose stools.

Another thing to consider is that he could have intestinal parasites, like coccidia or giardia, both of which can be hard to detect. It often takes several fecal tests before they can be detected. Sometimes, if the vet suspects either parasite, but nothing shows up in repeated tests, they will just go ahead and teat for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the first things I would try is to simply give him a bit less food, as overfeeding can cause loose stools.

Another thing to consider is that he could have intestinal parasites, like coccidia or giardia, both of which can be hard to detect. It often takes several fecal tests before they can be detected. Sometimes, if the vet suspects either parasite, but nothing shows up in repeated tests, they will just go ahead and teat for them.
Thanks for the input!

I'm currently feeding him 2 cups a day, but going to drop that down to 1.5 cups a day and see what that does (maybe a week trial)?

He only poops twice a day, but like I said it's always loose, nothing else about it seems unusual. Looking at his records from the humane society, he was last wormed in May, so that's probably something that needs done.

Unfortunately he isn't a fan of the vet (although he's been) so I'm trying to work things out at home before taking him in, if at all possible.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You can take a stool sample in without having to take him, as well. That way, you can get a test done every couple of days, to see if something shows up. Just use a pick up baggie.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Why did you switch off the Chicken & Rice?

The dog is processing several things simultaneously. Antibiotics, pain meds, food, goat milk.........

Try settling on a stable routine. Generally, steamed/boiled chicken breast with rice for a few days will settle digestion in turmoil. Then begin introducing alternate foods at a slow pace.

How is the dog's weight? Energy level? Behavior?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His last round of antibiotics was the end of August. He was on the chicken and rice up until the 2nd of this month. Goat's milk just happened over the last week.

I switched him off of the Chicken & Rice just because I personally don't like chicken as a protein source. I put him on Salmon since it's winter time and we live in the high desert, I figured fish would be helpful during the dry winter. His coat is beautiful & shedding is very minimal.

He's about 50 pounds (ideal weight is probably closer to 45) he has a little bit of a waist but not as much as I'd like to see.
Energy level is considerably mellow for an 11mo old cattle dog. He plays for about an hour a day and is usually pretty lazy the rest of the time. Of course he has sporadic burst of play throughout the day.

Behavior is best described as mellow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If he's over his ideal weight, then simply cutting back the amount he gets could solve both issues.

Another thought.... Have you tried FortiFlora? It'a a probiotic designed especially for dogs, and can help with loose stools if they are caused by not having enough good gut bacteria.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've gone ahead and cut back to 3/4 a cup twice a day.

His stool was pretty ideal today, however it may be because I stuff his Kong with pumpkin & banana on Wednesdays when I have to leave him in his kennel for a few hours. I won't add anything strange to his diet other than the Pumpkin/Banana when he is kenneled. And keep an eye on how feeding him less goes.

I have not heard of FortiFlora, although I know the pet food store I purchase his food from only carries food with added probiotics, I'm sure supplementing wouldn't hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts