·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Can I add...

SUCCESSFUL DOG ADOPTION
by
Sue Sternberg
(above my fav.)

I love how she access dog temperment & her (soft eye vas hard eye) for tell tale frendliness of dogs etc. I learned a lot on how to test my own puppy for aggression.

And also

Raising your dog (and puppy)
with the monks of New Skete

Great reads!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I haven't seen this one on the list so far:

Temple Grandin: Animals in Translation

Not specifically about dogs, not about training, but fascinating insight that is brilliant for helping gain some understanding and perspective on how animals may see the world.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
"How the dogs became dog"
By
Mark Derr

& "My smart puppy"
By
Brian Kilcommon
Sarah Wilson

Above I relate to the training techniques quite a bit as alot of mentioned in that book is what I have already done with Roman.

Romansit!.jpg

Still Both interesting books and ones I have to remember to buy.

P.S. the motto of ignoring the bad and rewarding the good???
Take all the good techniques to apply to what my dog would want...
Ignore the bad techniques that my dog won't want.

Eg. Like spray bottles or control collars etc.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Another great read and NYT bestseller...

"In a dog's heart" by Jennifer Arnold.

I will be looking forward to also read "Through a dog's eyes" also by her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dtb875p
I know it's not reading, but "The Language of Dogs" DVD by Sarah Kalnajs was great. It is produced by Dogwise, who puts out the Turid Rugaas DVDs and books. Just don't buy a copy on Ebay... (lesson learned!) For books, I would vote for "The Other End of the Leash", by Patricia McConnell and "The Power of Positive Dog Training", by Pat Miller. You cannot go wrong with either.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Yeap!!!
Adding...

Randy Grim "Don't Dump the Dog!"...

Great book!
Book future dog owners should read... great perspective.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my view, "The Bark Stops Here" is good for reading and learning. In my opinion, it has taught the lessons and described the points so nicely that it is very easy to understand.

·
Registered
556 Posts
"Training the Best Dog Ever-A 5-Week Program Using the Power of Positive Reinforcement"-Dawn Slyvia-Stasiewicz and Larry Kay.

Just picked it up today, and I love how it is written and the progress journal in the back is really quite nice. Gives you things to work on and homework every day and allows you to record your progress!

Its endorsed by Ian Dunbar as well, and has one multiple rewards. Seems like a great book especially for someone like me who is new to training dogs!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone here read "the dog listener" by Jan Fennell? I am about half way through so far, but was just wondering what the general thoughts on the book in this forum are?
I am going to expanding my knowledge greatly on dogs, and dog behaviour, but I just want to ensure that what I am reading is factual and worth my time!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts