Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 1 year old Beagle/Jack Russell mix named Chloe. She is a great dog who loves to play but is very hyper (in a good way). We are looking to add a second dog into our family, but we are trying to find a companion that would "mesh" well with her. We are confused on what breeds would be a good fit. I've been trying to research, but would like to get recommendations from other owners as well. Any information would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

_reanna

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
What does your daily schedule look like? How much and what kind of exercise does your current dog receive? Will the new dog participate in any organzied dog activities? Do you want the new dog to be of a similar energy level to Chloe or to have less or more energy than she does? How much grooming do you want to do? Would you like a dog smaller, larger, or roughly the same size as your current dog? Do you want a puppy or an adult? Do you care if it's purebred?

You have to give us more than "We want another dog" if we're going to make an appropriate recommendation!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chloe is so high energy: We would like to get a dog that is a little bit more mellow than she is. She's pretty bad on walks; she does nothing but tug and gets distracted easily. Her current activity level is medium. She loves to play fetch with her tennis ball all day. We would love to take her for hour long daily walks, but she's just so bad on walks that they often get shortened. My husband and I have the same work schedule, so she is only in her kennel in our spare bedroom about four hours or less Mon-Fri. When she's in her kennel she likes to tear apart anything and everything in there. I've heard that her breed mix does well with pack walks and I really think a second dog will help. We've tried almost everything and we love her to death, but we want to be sure if we get a second dog it's a good match. Hope this helps! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Maybe you should put her through training boot camp before you add another dog to the mix :)

I bet.. If you take a month to really work on training with your current dog. And not give up on her. You can make a big giant change as to her current behavior. I would hate for you to get a second dog and the new pup picks up bad behaviors just have double the problems you are having now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You should try using a head collar with her on walks. Porter pulls VERY bad and he's so big that he will pull me down. We got him a head collar and he is great on walks now. You can buy one from walmart. We found them on sell and got it for $2 where we paid $16 at petsmart. Its a great way to get them to do good on walks while you're training them without having to use something as painful as a prong collar. And as another post said, you should really get her some good training because chances are if you get another dog it will pick up o her bad habits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts